cant read disc when i try to burn a dvd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pomona, Jan 23, 2009.

1. pomona

pomona Private E-2

Hi, i have recently had some kind of spyware or trojan and it made my pc shut down in the first few seconds of the windows start up screen, and i somehow fixed it with a system restore. but now my dvd burner wont read my new blank dvd+r or dvd+rw discs when i try to use them for burning, but it has worked before the system restore. i can burn audio cds, play audio cds, and watch dvds. but when i insert a brand new disc to try to burn, the 2 burning software i have both say there is no disc inserted. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

You say it doesn't read the DVDs when you are burning?

If you insert a DVD with data on it (like a backup to DVD), can you see the data using Windows Explorer (My Computer)?

You may want to remove one of your two burning application. Pick the one you like most and uninstall the other.

3. pomona

pomona Private E-2

yes i can see a dvd with data with my computer, and i only have 1 burning application, but because of this problem, i just downloaded another one to see if it still doesnt work. after i converted the files and the application is ready for it to be burned, it asks me to insert the disc, and when i do that, it doesnt acknowledge that the disc i just inserted is there.

4. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

Was your PC able to burn + disks before? (there are different types of DVD burners)

5. pomona

pomona Private E-2

yes ive burned dvd+r discs before.

6. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

Instead of trying to copy a DVD, have you tried writing data to the disk using windows?

7. pomona

pomona Private E-2

no, but i got a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS empty folders copied on a dvd then it said theres no disc inserted, the other program just doesnt give me the choice to click burn because theres no disc found.

8. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

Are you familiar with using Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Use the task manager to end any tasks that are affiliated with your burning applications.

(if you have the disks to reinstall them, might be best to remove them)

Now that you don't have any programs set to detect the type of blank disk you have inserted into the drive, try to burn a DVD using Windows.

Open any folder on your computer that has data that will fit onto one DVD.

Using Vista? There should be a burn icon in the Explorer toolbar.

XP? Right click and copy the source data/folder/files. Browse to the blank DVD drive letter and paste.

9. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

Might be best to remove and reinstall your burning applications.

10. pomona

pomona Private E-2

it wont let me copy, it says Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want windows to do?
    then i have the options of retry or cancel, both doesnt work. ive deleted the burning applications

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds