AVG 8 or Better Free AntiVirus

Discussion in 'Software' started by krafty karper, May 9, 2008.

1. krafty karper

krafty karper Private E-2

i am using avg 8 is there a better free version out there and what is the best antivirus software out there or the top 1 thats scores high in ppl books

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved this post to software as the Welcome Center is just to say hi and many of the folk who would answer a tech question dont always go into the Welcome Center.

But my suggestion is Avast Free which has served me well for many years, I would also suggest having a read of this guide How to Protect yourself from malware!

If you wish to pay for an AV then best that scores highly at present is Avira's AntiVir or AECs TrustPort http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_02.php but to be honest the free ones in the likes of Avast are good and the main issue of contracting malware is the user and where they surf or download from so duty of care is needed in downloading from known sources and safe surfing as well as keeping the OS upto date fully with all Service Packs and securuty updates.

3. krafty karper

krafty karper Private E-2

thank you for advice and i have been yold aswell that service pack 3 for windows xp has got loads of problems and have been advived not to install it

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes on SP3 there are some theads here on issues with SP3, in the main the majority will be fine as this Service Pack went through a longer than normal beta phase, but like all software it cannot account for all variables... so yes while I would advice to install it and take the chance, it maybe worth waiting a week or so.

But back to AVs and Malware, I would advise the installation of SpywareBlaster as it is a prevention application over a scanner as it does not run in the background or remove malware but more so adds known ActiveX exploits and bad sites to the exceptions lists in both IE and FF to stop you becoming infected by known infected items, this app just needs manually updating once a week.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds