Speaker/Modem Sound problem and Case/Burner don't fit problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hateuall, Dec 9, 2006.

1. hateuall

hateuall Private First Class

1. I have disabled sounds for windows alerts and for the modem itself and still I hear the modem dialing and trying to connect through my speaker system. Any ideas on how to disable this or what I might be missing?

2. I got a new pc and needed to add a pionner dvd burner and it is physically not possible to make them go together properly. I end up having a wide space opening cause I got to put the drive all the way back to screw it down. Also the case's face is round while as far as I know all these drives are flat on their face ends. Any clues here?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Have you muted it in volume controls and control panel\modem properties:confused:

The fronts of drives are interchangeable they can be unclipped,from what you have described the front of the old drive is round to fit the case,you need to unclip it and clip it to the new drive:confused:

3. hateuall

hateuall Private First Class

1. That's what I have already done. I muted it in control panel and went through network settings as extra concern, and still it dials even with the mute modem option selected.

2. I am trying to put a dvd rw in an currently empty drive bay that only has a conver that can not possibly be exchanged with the drive...it is a full cover and how would the drive bay open in the first place.

When I actually put the dvd rw in the drive it must go deep in the case and leaves a gapping space around for air, dust and whatever else to circulate in the case, so the dvd rw face would be buried deep in the case unit not with the case's face. Any one have this problem, or a solution?

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Usually, a dial-up modem ( internal or external ) is configured by sending "code strings" via a "terminal emulation program". I use HyperTerminal, which comes with Windows. However, you will also need the documentation that came on your Modem CD installation disk. There may be a .pdf file or even HTML files that contain the needed code strings. Failing that, searching the manufacturers web site may help. As an example, the codes for the speaker on a USRobotics 5660A internal WinModem are

ATLn Speaker Volume

ATL0 (Lowest Speaker Volume)
    ATL1 (LowSpeaker Volume)
    ATL2 (Medium Speaker Volume)
    ATL3 (High Speaker Volume)

ATMn Operates speaker

ATM0 (Speaker always OFF)
    ATM1 (Speaker ON until CONNECT)
    ATM2 (Speaker always ON)
    ATM3 (Speaker ON after dial, until CONNECT)

Once HyperTerminal is configured, to turn off my speaker, I would type:

ATM0<enter>

That turns off the speaker.

With Hyperterminal, I usually create a "new" session but when the configuration window pops up, I cancel it. Then I configure it as an ANSI terminal with "keys" set to terminal mode. Then I set it to "echo locally" so I can see what I'm typing. Just type in "your modem's speaker code" and hit enter. Your modem stores this setting until the next time you change it.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds