Wideband technology. What is it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C1B3R5NYP3R, May 30, 2012.

1. C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R Private First Class

I just upgraded (I think) to roadrunner lightning featuring wideband technology. My ISP is brighthouse. HAs anyone heard of this? And better yet, how do I test my speeds. They are telling me I need to go to their website to test my speeds. Something just isnt quite right about that. I have used the google machine but cannot find much other than Brighthouse links and info. I would really like to learn more about this from an un biased source.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

It is not biased to tell you to use their speed test, they use that to show you your 'top' speed. See if you hit their severs then you'll most likely get your 'top' speed, which is what they are selling you. Now when you use speedtest.net your not likely to see all that speed because your competing with the whole Internet. Don't be surprised by the many different readings you'll get. That is why you don't get a guaranteed speed.

3. C1B3R5NYP3R

That makes no sense to me. With broadband I can go to any number of websites and test my speeds with comparable results and now all of a sudden I have a router I cant configure (locked) and a test site owned by the company "selling" me their services.

So I have a router AND a website to "test" my speeds. But I can only use their stuff?? Sounds like a slam dunk...If your an ISP.

How is this NOT biased?

Ok Im getting off topic. What exactly is wideband? I am just trying to understand how it works.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

First, there was internet access from home. Then there was broadband. Now, coming to you live, it's wideband! It's broadband, but bigger. It's spread spectrum.

It's impossible to explain what it is exactly at your ISP since the term isn't very specific, just like broadband isn't very specific. Depending on the method used, it is supposed to make the signal more stable, less susceptible to noise, interference, jamming and more. It is also a method to carry more signal on the same wire. For you it should mean speed and consistency.

I would use speedtest.net to check speeds regardless. For checking against advertised speeds, they want you to use their system. Ok, but have you had a problem with using other test sites? Are they showing substantially slower. If they are, then I would care what system they want to use for official testing.

Was the only option to use their modem/router or could you have gotten just a modem from the ISP? I hate the non-programmable ones and I have added a router in between due to IP conflicts when remotely connecting to our locations. It does the job.

5. C1B3R5NYP3R

I tested initially and got very low speeds through different providers. Speedtest.net being one of them. Then later I tried again and the speeds were there. I have my own router bridged into theirs. (Yep, they had to bridge it. They wouldn't let me do anything with it). The tests were done through my router. I have now connected all my hard lines into their router. I just checked my speeds. I am getting 25/4 but they say I should be getting 40/5. (2nd test shows 40/5) I still have my wireless going through my router for all my "other" devices that are not hard lined.

Here is some info on their router:
    Motorola SBG6580 AKA SURFboard SBG6580
    DOCSIS3.0
    4 Port + wifi
    Also has a "filter" attached to the cable input. Says to filter noise. (Not sure about that either)

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Think of it as driving along on a road trip. You go through town on congested streets (dial-up pre 56k), then venture onto wider streets that are one way, four lanes wide (56k). Getting through town, you hit the highway (128k pre-broadband/before the super high speeds we have now). After you leave the highway and merge onto the freeway (broadband in the U.S. as we know it), that is what the majority is using.

Now pretend you all of a sudden are going from a U.S. Freeway and whoa, you find yourself on the Autobahn (There you have it, Wideband). That pretty much sums it up.

See the link, and associated links in it, which will kind of explain the different terms.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wideband

The Road runner died, to no longer be used as a term. Brighthouse is actually playing on words, to try to make their hi-speed sound cool and faster than the next guy. It is all about marketing and nothing more. BTW, what are your speeds that you are paying for and costs for that package. Not for comparison, but just to put in light what you are paying for, so others if they come across this thread have a base.

7. C1B3R5NYP3R

Much like a phone contract, our internet/ cable promo came to an end. They upgraded us to "lightning" from turbo and added a sports package..Yippee.. (I say that sarcastically) along with some cut rate movie channels for less than the "normal" service would have been. I think we are paying about $140 for cable and internet with whole house DVR, sports and movie package. About $10 cheaper than staying with what we had (which did not include movie channels, sports package or whole house DVR.)...

I understand the wideband aspect of it. What can you tell me about the filter. Can I remove it? And can they track what I am doing online?

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Generally removing any isp installed filture is a bad idea, and will only service in making your service worse, and then prompting a isp tech visit who will be frustrated you removed it in the first place.

9. C1B3R5NYP3R

I know all this. That is not answering the question at hand. I am simply looking for answers to questions. I am just trying to understand this new technology. I could care less about "hacking" or "misusing" their services. I just simply want answers to questions.

Sorry if I come across strong. I just dont really care about opinions on whats right or wrong. My quest is for knowledge.

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Filter's filter things, ie extra noise out, If your using wireless, im not sure how that would apply, i know its common practice in dsl for filters to be used, they prevent the dsl signal from affecting normal phone service, and normal phone service from affecting your dsl. Not sure specifically how that would apply in your case though.

11. C1B3R5NYP3R

Ill be a little more specific. The router (posted specs earlier) Is a wireless router. The input, however, is a RJ45 connection as opposed to the ethernet connection we are all used to. It is run from a splitter. The other end goes to my T.V.

Noot sure if this helps...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds