Bios boots only to default values (even after reflash)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daveman2, May 9, 2005.

1. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Windows xp pro SP2, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, Nvidia GeForce Agp 8X, ECS K7S5a 3.1 Motherboard with most recent bios August of 2003.

I have tried every online scan available including all of the one's listed on this site. System comes up clean, although I have had some infections that seemed quite bad in recent months.

Tried SystemRescueCd and booted from Cd with linux-based product and tried scanning with Clam AV with commands:
    mkdir /virdefs /mnt/testpart
    chmod 777 /virdefs
    cp /usr/share/clamav/* /virdefs/
    freshclam --datadir /virdefs
    mount /dev/hda1 mnt/testpart
    clamscan -r -d /virdefs /mnt/testpart

Scan took all night and came up with 49 infections noted but not repaired or deleted. I am unsure why only a scan done in this manner (linux cd boot) would fin any infection where all other tools would fail. Does anyone know commands for this!!!?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Are my booting problems hardware related or the result of a bootsector virus? I cannot find any definitive info on removing boot sector viruses and have already tried replacing CMOS battery and Windows recovery commands Fixboot and Fixmbr. Bios is reflashed with same behavior as before which is:

If I set bios to anything other than default settings, it may boot eventually, but unlikely. If I reset jumper pin, computer is sure to boot exactly the second time I turn computer on every single time...never the first. Windows is not the problem. It seems something is getting in the way of the bios starting up ...lights go on in both cd and dvd drive. Also, floppy does not work saying "No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk". I have tried formatting all ways, trying old and new floppy disks...nothing.

I was going to try norton emergency disks but my floppy is not working. I made cd iso for bios reflash so maybe I can try but I haven't had any luck so far. I would like to try Clam AV again with proper commands to delete viruses but I have no clue.

I did do something very stupid , having installed Morpheus. I uninstalled only to find my temp files clogged, unable to delete. I found a long string of 20-something character windows. By renaming them I was unable to delete them and fix my temp folder in Documents and Settings. I don't know if the two are related but I think so.

I have tried each ram seperately, so they are fine.

I have finally come to the mother of all forums to end this nightmare. Thank you in advance!

2. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Sorry, last part of thread...I was ABLE to empty temp folder.

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Generally speaking...the software on the harddrive won't have anything to do with the bios malfunctioning!! There is the one chance that you can get a virus that will screw up the bios, but you don't hear of it too often!!

Have you tried flashing the bios from a bootable floppy as opposed to using flash software and doing in windows??

Also...whenever you flash the bios...take the cmos battery out, with the power unplugged from the back, for atleast one minute...then when you reboot...go into the bios, and do the settings you want to alter and then make sure you save before you exit!! Using the cmos jumper to clear the bios doesn't always do the trick!! Removing the battery is a foolproof way to make sure the cmos was cleared!! Also if your computer is somewhat old...then make sure your cmos battery isn't going dead!! The cmos battery is what the bios uses to retain any bios settings...otherwise it won't remember any changed settings and will return to failsafe defaults!!

Roger

4. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

I reflashed bios from a bootable cd, because my floppy is not working.

Bios was reflashed to new version, but when I try to alter bios to optimal settings and save, my computer will not boot to bios (like I described).

So, I have reflashed and nothing has changed

5. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

I followed rogvalcox's advice and removed CMOS battery (recently replaced to no avail) and reflashed bios with cd iso boot.

Went to bios and loaded optimal settings, saved and exited, only to have computer hang for eternity awaiting bios to reboot..

Why is this happening?

One thing I forgot to mention, a couple of months ago my fan in power supply went and so I replaced fan only. Could my processor be wrecked? motherboard? Why is my bios reacting like this? I am only allowed to boot to windows if default settings are used.

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

just to verify, when you have the Jumper in default mode (to store the BIOS information) do you have yor hard drive configured properly as the first boot device?

also, have you tried running Memtest on your RAM to verify thats not the problem? Ram simply 'working' doesnt mean its flawless.

7. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Yes, hard drive is configured as 1st boot device, I will try memtest

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Also...make sure your cmos jumper is in the right position!!!! If the jumper is in the Clear cmos position it will clear the cmos everytime you reboot!! If you get a flashlight and look at the printing on the mobo...somewhere in the general vicinity of the cmos jumper, will be something that says what pins the jumper need to be on for default (which is what you want to retain bios savings) and what pins are for clearing the bios (which is for wiping out he bios savings)!! It should also state in the mobo manual what pins are what number and what the different jumper settings are!! If all else you can try it with the jumper on pins 1 & 2 and see if that works and if not try it on 2 & 3!! But like I said you need to find out the pin numbering for the jumper!! Just because the 3 pins run from left to right, doesn't mean they are numbered 1,2,3 from left to right!! I have seen mobo's that number the pins backwards!!!!

Generally speaking though... pins 1 & 2 are default (which is what you want), and pins 2 & 3 are for clearing the cmos!! But don't take that to the bank!!!!

Roger

9. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Thanx Roger. Jumper pins are in correct positions. Still, only default values, and it takes exactly two attempts to boot to bios every time after clearing CMOS and unless I try to set bios to anything other than default, then it stalls and may never boot to bios anytime soon.

Dave

10. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

One thing I forgot to mention, I added a new HD recently and made partitions using Partition Magic 8.0. Any possible conflicts? There was no immediate change in performance that I can recall.
    I also remember bios resetting itself to date of default settings (2002) and at the time I seemed to think a virus infection accompanied that occurence, if I remember. However, I would simply set date in bios and everything would be fine. Possible that I was overclocking (is that the term) the processor and damaged it? When I set to 133 = 2400, 130 = 1800. I would set to 133.

11. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Am I reading correctly if I get the idea that you have 2 hard drives?? If so...have you put both of the hard drive jumpers on CS (cable select)?? If the drive jumpers aren't proper, then that can cause the bios to hang when it is trying to detect all of the systems peripherals!!

Also...it's a long shot, but...have you replaced the CMOS battery to rule out the battery going dead?? If the battery is going dead...it is just like resetting the CMOS everytime you boot!! Usually those CMOS batteries last forever and a day, but if you have atleast a year on your system, it is a possibility that the battery is going dead, or could be a defective battery!!

Roger

12. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Yes, I have already replaced CMOS battery (the first thing I did). I also double-checked jumper settings from appropriate manufacturer's websites and everything is as it should be...
    This is getting frustrating. Why won't the bios keep settings, and why does bios take exactly two attempts to start every time???

13. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

What did your Memtest bring about?? Was you able to run 3 or 4 complete passes without any errors??

If you do get any errors...try one module at a time in eac different Dimm slot in order to eliminate the bad piece of ram!! A computer uses the first 64mb of ramm to boot and load the OS, so if you have bad ram, it can give you symptoms like you're having!!

It is possible for a BIOS to get infected by a virus!! You don't hear of it very often at all, but if it does, then the only remedy I know of is to replace the bios chip!! But you might be able to get a new mobo for the same price or a little more!!

A bad CPU can also cause quirky things to happen, like this!!

I might have asked this already, but did you EVER overclock it, which can cause it to overheat, and if so, then overheating can cause the motherboard and/or anything connected to the board to become defective!!

Roger

14. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Ran memtest and no errors after 4 passes.

I think it may be processor being overclocked. How do I check whether it is processor or motherboard problem? Should I put processor in another computer?

15. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If you have another system or board with the same type socket...that would be a good way to test the cpu...if it works on a different borad...then odds are...your board is bad or some other piece of hardware that is connected to the board is causing a problem!!!!

Roger

16. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

I am planning on testing my processor in another system, but have a look at my new thread in "Spyware specific" called "boot sector virus?"

Ad-aware made a discovery that may be pertinent to problem, but cannot remove it.

17. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Processor is fine...any idea of what to do now?

18. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Obviously....there is something in the motherboard that is keeping the bios from remembering the settings, so...to me....it is sounding more and more like it is time to replace the board!! Sorry to say that, but sometimes it unfortunately comes to that!! :(

What kind of board do you have...there are alot of good budget boards out there, that can be acquired for around $50.00, give or take a few bucks, depending on what kind of built in features you might want!! I just recently got an ABIT mobo with onboard SATA, LAN, pocket full of USB ports, and onboard 6 channel audio for $60 I think it was, and I love it!!!!
    it is a KV7-V.

If you decide to go that route, and want recommendations...let me know and we'll see what we can find you!!!!

Roger

19. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Still not fixed this one.LOL.You say you have selected optimal settings this is a broad spectrum multiple settings adjust,it makes everything run at what the Mobo thinks is its fastest speed any one of these settings could be too much for one or more components in your system,all of them can be adjusted manually by going through each bios setting individually,you will probably stumble upon the troublesome setting.thats why failsafe is called so,it works,implying optimal might not.

Try switching one setting and see if it sticks,something simple and inconsequential,onboard sound for instance.

I think you get a boot second time because the cmos resets itselt for protection,In my experience this happens every third boot,but S£$T happens. :D

20. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

Thanx for the continued concern. I have tried adjusting bios settings individually to no avail.
    Rogvalcox may have the best advice of all - buy a new motherboard.
    It just pisses me off that I couldn't figure it out.
    Another forum informed me that this is a known issue with my motherboard and that soldering a resistor to mother could fix problem.
    I'll probably upgrade mother, but I may not be able to "resist" temptation to solve the problem on principle.

Thanx for help

21. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

here is reply from other forum:

That is a known issue with the K7S5A, many of us have fixed it with the following:

#1 new CR2032 battery
    #2 name brand power supply heavy on the 5V and +5vsb rails
    #3 there is a hardware mod but it only works half the time
    #4 bios update, works only half the time

http://www.rhcf.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php/forum/1.html

22. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

Jumpers set on mobo to facilitate correct voltage of cpu?

23. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Its great you have some hope :) i cant find the article with the resistor soldering advice in a direct link would be great,I you wanna try the resistor trick without soldering,just place the resistor where it should be,flat on the board with the 2 pins touching the solders and dab a blob of hot glue onto it,hold until it sets,if it dont work peel off"It will all come off easily in one peice with no trace" and rma it.

:)

;)

24. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

25. daveman2

daveman2 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds