Best Way to Network with Win 98 SE & Old Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by auntpat, Aug 7, 2006.

1. auntpat

auntpat Private E-2

I just got a new computer and got highspeed internet installed today. I've got a router so we can also hook up computer #2, a HP Pavilion running at 550 Mhz and using Windows 98 Second Edition. When I purchased my computer they told me all I needed was a nifty wireless USB adapter on the HP to 'connect' (wirelessly) to the router. The only problem is the nifty USB adapter only runs with Windows 2000 and XP. I thought maybe I could squeak through with 98, but when I tried to install the adapter software, got the following: "Setup.exe is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:GetUserDefaultUILanguage".

I need some advice on what would be the best way to the second computer connected (no, getting another new one is not an option). Should I:

A. Keep the USB adapter and get Windows XP?
    B. Keep Windows 98 and get a network card - doesn't have to be wireless, as the router works with both.

Keep in mind, I've just spent all the extra money on the new computer, but I am well aware of the problems one can encouter trying to add new hardware and upgrade software on an old system so I want to pursue the least stressful option.

Thanks a bunch.

Aunt Pat

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you want to save money ...use the usb on the new xp machine and take the nic card out and put it in the 98 machine.

3. stardis

stardis Private E-2

If you have a spare PCI slot, get a nic for the 98SE computer-- they're cheap (especially on sale).

I would get the same brand as the router if you can. I don't really think it makes much difference, but I always use Linksys products since I started out with a Linksys modem. Probably any other brand would be just as good. You can probably get a nic card for 5 USD on sale.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds