Acomdata 3.5" external hard drive enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daddysteve, Dec 18, 2007.

1. daddysteve

daddysteve Private E-2

Hello,

I purchased an acomdata 509 external hard drive enclosure a couple days ago.

I connected the drive to my computer via a usb cord. It isn't recongnizing the enclosure/drive at all. There is nothing in my device manager etc..

I have attempted to install the driver that came with the enclosure, but was given a message that said it didn't need to install the driver as it was already compatible.

This hard drive had some issues (I don't recall now what they were), which is why I installed a new hard drive on my pc. I was hoping that I might be able to draw some information from the external drive and save to my new drive. (I am specifically looking for photo's/movies and some excel spreadsheets.)

Thanks,
    DS

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks! So do I have this right, you have a problem hard drive that you put in an enclosure and it is not seen by the 'puter? Have you tried the diagnostic stuff that most hard drive companies have? If you can post what kind of hard drive, we can find a diagnostic program for you.

E

3. daddysteve

daddysteve Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome Fred!

Yes thats exactly the problem. I have put the hard drive in an enclosure kit, made sure all parts were plugged in etc.. and there is no new drive found in My Computer etc..

The old drive is an 80 gig HP hard drive, came preloaded on a computer I purchased from a company in Canada called Future Shop.

Would the serial numbers etc help you in any way?

Thanks,

DS

4. padams

padams First Sergeant

When you plug the hdd in to the computer can you feel it spinning up inside the enclosure?

5. daddysteve

daddysteve Private E-2

Hi Pad,

Yes I can feel it moving. If I hold it up to my ear I can also "hear" it move.

(My particular enclosure has no fan.)

DS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds