connectivity issues on netgear

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simon61, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Simon61

Simon61 Private E-2

Hello!

I have a problem with just one of the computers in a LAN using a NETGEAR router. There are three PC's, two are wireless and working just fine. The wired one however appears to be having trouble with being assigned an IP.

DCHP is enabled on the router. I've tried different wires so it seems that the problem is entirely with the wired computer.

I've tried reinstalling the ethernet devices, tried assigning an IP manually, turned off the firewall to see what happens, tried both the 'repair' function and ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew etc.

edit: A bit of extra info: the IP it finally settles on is 169.254.255.180, but it should be in the router's quoted range of 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254. The PC recognises when a network cable is plugged in between itself and the router but it does not recieve a valid IP.

Help please! :(

2. trashguy

trashguy Private E-2

try replacing the nic in the machine

3. Simon61

Simon61 Private E-2

the machine in question is connected via onboard stuff on its mobo, you think it might be a hardware fault?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds