Proper tool for altering startup processes???

Discussion in 'Software' started by snellyville, Jul 6, 2006.

1. snellyville

snellyville Private E-2

Ok.....sweet josephine.....I need help.
    There are lots of different tools to manipulate startup processes but which one actually works and will take affect? Which program(s), after edited, will change the other programs startup menus to match it's own "new" startup method that I just changed? Which one will actually stick to the process order that I choose and not change back on reboot? Ok...here's my dilema, which do I use:

msconfig?
    services.msc?
    CCleaner?
    WinTasks 5.0 Pro?

I haven't installed WinTasks yet but I have it available, just some FYI. But as for the other three, I decided to use CCleaner to alter the startup processes but once I finished I look in the other programs startup menus and nothing has changed? Am I going to have to change all three programs startup menus to match and then reboot or what? Any direction would be outstanding here...thanks.

2. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

msconfig is what i normally use, you can check/uncheck what you wanna load at boot.

CCcleaner perminantly removes them from starting in the registry so only use this if you know what you are doing.

3. snellyville

snellyville Private E-2

Oh, sweet...I'm an idiot. All I did was go through and remove what I know I don't need on the Startup Tab in CCleaner....soooooooo, I'm gonna reboot now and if I don't come back ya'll know what happened: either the computer melted down or I got the blue screen of death and in a fit of rage drop kicked the PC into the wall shattering it into a thousand little pieces....hopefully this is not the case. Here goes...

4. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

I think that msconfig or ccleaner are good choices. But it depends what you are trying to keep from your startup processes as well.

For instance. I used CCleaner to remove some Yahoo IM stuff from my startup, but...everytime that I opened Yahoo IM, it would silently plant itself right back in the startup. In a situation like that msconfig would be more beneficial. I choose to use Tea Timer, but that isn't a common favorite for many reasons.

So ccleaner will usually work, but it does depend on certain apps, and msconfig will always work. I personally don't like to use msconfig, but it is easy to use, and it will work.

Good Luck! :)

5. snellyville

snellyville Private E-2

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I survived! I think it did some good too....my startup time is down from about 15 minutes to around 6-7 minutes! Thank God! But I'm still getting some gay pop-ups: the URL in the properties of the pop-up is http://scanner.sysprotect.com/.... Anyone got anything on this?

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

run adaware and see if that fixes it.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

CCleaner is the best for managing startup items. It lists all the startup entries in the registry AND in the startup folder.

As for your pop-ups, you would be best to (once again) go through the malware removal thread and FOLLOW THROUGH WITH ALL THE STEPS. Then, run through the how to protect yourself from malware thread, to make sure that the problem doesn't happen again. This could quite possibly help with the starup time too, as you don't want malware loading on startup, and/or tying up all your system resources!

Also, I would recommend that you use Mozilla Firefox, as this has an inbuilt popup blocker.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I am surprised that no-one has commented on the 6-7 minutes startup time.
    My PC would be out the window if I had to wait anywhere near that long.

Try these 2
    Process Explorer. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

9. The Prisoner

The Prisoner Private E-2

BIGBAZZA's right! Six to seven MINUTES?!!! At three or four, I'd do a brutal format and reinstall (not a suggestion, just a reaction--out the window, brutal format, drop kick--whatever soothes each individual's savage breast). I wouldn't even invest the time to clean up whatever is fouling up the system. Good luck, whatever method you choose......

10. snellyville

snellyville Private E-2

The thought of reformating makes me wanna vomit...I've got so much software installed and I don't even wanna think about having to back up ALL my files, starting from scratch and reinstalling everything....BLAH! I would like to avoid that if at all possible but I realize it might have to happen....

11. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hi!
    I've been using WinPatrol for years and 'Scotty' will alert you when a program tries to add itself to your start up. When you disable or remove programs from start up with Win Patrol and they'll STAY that way. It does that and so much more...have a look! I wouldn't be without it!

12. snellyville

snellyville Private E-2

Definately looks good...but I have WinTasks 5.0 Pro sittin here by the computer just waitin to be installed and I would like to run it if its worth a damn. Have you, or anybody else for that matter, heard anything about this software...good or bad? If its crap, I'll just sell it to someone else and run WinPatrol...whata ya'll think?

13. Toni_1947

I invested $20.00 for WinPatrol Pro and I couldn't feel safer!
    :D

Attached Files:

14. snellyville

snellyville Private E-2

Damn...that looks outstanding! I might just have to scrap the other and go with the WinPatrol...

15. Toni_1947

@TxTazDad with all due respect:
    I am very familiar with K(eep)I(t)S(imple)S(tupid)
    WinPatrol is Simple and does a whole lot more than just manage startup programs. The little memory it uses doesn't bother me at all!
    MSCONFIG will not stop a new program from placing itself in the startup folder or even let you know if it tries. WinPatrol DOES. In WinPatrol Plus you can type in any process and you get all the info you need to decide whether you need it or not. WinPatrol has saved my butt from malware more than once!

Even the pros recommend third party apps to aid in managing startup programs.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with Scotty!
    ;)

16. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

17. Toni_1947

@snellyville
    Before you do anything else you need to get rid of the malware you have! Stick with your post in the Malware Forum and get cleaned up before you do anything else, my friend.
    :)

18. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

i would also like to mention that you should back up unless you wanna end up losing everything, especially if you are messing with malware and making changes in the registry as they can *sometimes* have undesired effects.

either back up to a removable drive or stick in another HDD and store your shizzle on there. Even a power cut can fry your system, when the power returns. i learnt the hardway and ended up with a new power supply and MOBO

19. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Start-->Run services.msc <enter>
    is a much better way to control what starts up.
    If you don't want a service, set it to manual or disable.

I still prefer Starter and Process EXplorer to carry out these tasks. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds