BSOD 0x0000007B during XP setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, May 29, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I get the BSOD 0x0000007B with no file name listed during XP setup (it doesn't matter which version of XP; MCE, Home, Pro). The CD starts up OK, you get the blue setup screens with the white text and everything moves along until "Setup is starting Windows" (or is it "Windows is starting setup"? I don't remember exactly). It's right before it asks if you want to press R for the Recovery Console, Enter to install Windows, then the screen goes black for a second like it would normally, but it comes back with BSOD 0x0000007B. I have tried different hard drives (SATA), different RAM (DDR2; I've tried different sizes, different speeds, used different slots), I've tried different HD cables, and still I get the error. So I tried a low level format (zeros) on the HD, still got the error. I tried a slow full format (using a Barts BECD) and formatted NTFS, I tried FAT32 even (which isn't a real good idea with a 320gb SATA drive so I used a 40gb, I pretty much knew it was a lost cause but at this point I was trying anything) but it made no difference. I think my next step is going to be to maybe flash the BIOS if a new one is available (this is an HP Media Center PC Pavilion a1640n) and hopefully that will help. I'm ready to say that it needs a new motherboard.... any bright ideas out there in MG land???? Anyone????

2. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

Uh I agree on the new motherboard but I aint no genius so lets see how many other people agree!!

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Problem solved.
    :celebrate :hyper :dancer
    Generally speaking, if you're installing XP to a SATA drive, and it's already cleanly formatted NTFS, you usually don't need to mess with the F6 floppy driver.... usually.... So, as a last sitch effort I hooked up a floppy drive, downloaded the F6 driver from Intel (ICH8 Storage Matrix, 965 chipset), created the floppy, and tried to install XPMCE again, but this time I pressed F6, and used the floppy, AND IT WORKED!!! It is now about two-thirds of the way through the XP install :) I guess when I tried using FAT32 it didn't agree with the SATA format for whatever reason, and all the other attempts were due to a hardware/driver interpretaion issue.

"Ahhhh.... I love it when a plan comes together."
    - Hannibal Smith; co-founder/leader of the A-Team

:major
    [dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds