Heads Up. Cleaning XP Prefetch folder with Nortons installed.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brian C, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

Anyone planning on cleaning out their XP Prefetch folder, and has Nortons installed.........you may experience slow loading of Nortons afterwards. I had decided to clean out my Prefetch, and after doing so, it took about 5 minutes after bootup for Nortons to load in. I'm running Norton Internet Security. Both the Firewall and the Anti-Virus portions suffered the slow load. All other stuff in the Prefetch rebuilt itself, with the exception of the Nortons. I had to reinstall NIS to get it back to loading right at startup quickly again. I figured I'd confirm my finding, so I emptied the Prefetch on my other XP machine. The same thing happened. I used the other XP machine for several days, to see if Nortons would rebuild back into the Prefetch, but it didn't. Still was taking a good 5 minutes before the Nortons programs would start up.
    Just figured I'd post this, in case anone else ran into the issue. :)

2. ujanus

ujanus Private E-2

Thank you Brian C.I was about to slash my wrists.Ujanus

3. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

You're very welcome. Glad the finding was helpful. :)

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Glad you didn't do that! :D

5. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Gee, yeah. What with all the dead KITTENS around here, we don't need BLOOD ON THE FLOOR as well. Blech.

Glad yer still with us, ujanus. Welcome to MG!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds