Is there still a concern over duplicate GUIDs when cloning hard drives across comps?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-15281db623, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I wanted to make an image of a laptop using a free program like Macrium Reflect and then use that image to replicate across 10 more of the exact same laptop. Basically so I don't have to install programs and configure each computer individually.

In the past I've heard problems about active directory seeing duplicate GUIDs and not allowing the computer's access to the network. That was a few years ago and was just wondering if that was still a valid concern when cloning drives with new operating systems and news cloning software?

If anyone who has recently cloned drives in a corporate environment can weigh in, that would be wonderful. Thank you.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Re: Is there still a concern over duplicate GUIDs when cloning hard drives across com

I haven't ran into any issues, personally. We use vmware and I've cloned many machines, and they were able to access the domain fine.

But, if you are concerned, you could try following this link:

http://theitbros.com/sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-–-start-to-finish

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds