Windows Explorer Keeps Stopping

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jun 4, 2012.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

On my laptop, Acer Aspire 5920, running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, I keep receiving a message that says Windows Explorer has stopped working. It allows me to restart Windows Explorer.

What might be causing this problem? How can I rectify it?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have run System File Checker as recommended in Microsoft’s knowledge base no. 269911.

It said that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”. It also said that “details are included in the CBS.Log”, which it said is located at Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log. However, when I attempt to open the file it says access is denied. How can I find out what is wrong with the corrupt Windows files?

4. tgell

Try opening it up in safe mode using the Administrator account.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

That worked, thank you! How do I make sense of the CBS log, which I attach as a zip file.

Attached Files:

• CBS.zip
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
  6. tgell

I looked at this and I cannot understand it. Maybe somebody else on the forum can help. You could try running the system file checker again. Do you still have the problem with Windows Explorer stopping?

Edit: the only thing I can tell from the log file is that Windows is moving files from Winsxs that it finds corrupted.

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

There are 4 days worth of data.

It's going to take some time to read, but it appears to be Windows media plugin related, not totally sure but there was a reference to it. There are also references to Windows Defender, and definitions. Side by side of what, and why is the question.

Best thing to do may be to go into internet options, and reset the browser completely. I do it now and then just for good measure.

Have you done a memory diagnostic?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Yes, I am still having the problem with Windows Explorer.

Yes, I have run memory diagnostics. It reported that there were no problems.

It's strange that you say there might be a problem with Media Player. I posted another thread on the forum saying that I cannot open Media Player.

I do not understand what you mean by resetting the browser. I'd be grateful if you could expand on that, thanks.

9. the mekanic

Well, in the log one of the issues stated had to do with WMP, among others. WMP is a core Windows component, it cannot be removed but it can be re-installed.

Under Tools> Internet Options > Advanced Tab, you will see a button that states "Reset..." at the bottom. This will COMPLETELY refresh your browser back to it's "out of the box" state. If you do have other issues, and it appears you may, it could only be a temporary fix.

How old is your install, and have you run a check on your hard drive for bad blocks or sectors?

I've found this to be a useful tool:

http://majorgeeks.com/HDDScan_for_Windows_d6321.html

This is a simpler tool:

http://majorgeeks.com/HDD_Health_d3654.html

You can also go to My Computer> right click on the C: drive>Properties>click on the Tools tab> Check Disk > Check now...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  10. the mekanic

I just got done reading the last part of the log.

There are issues with the PowerShell, Windows Defender, Windows Media, and apparently a host of Dynamic Library issues. There is apparently a great deal of erroneous (corrupt) data for some reason.

Since you said your RAM passed diagnostics, definitely check the hard drive for errors. Bad sectors or blocks on an aging drive will cause havoc.

:major

11. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

How do you go about re-installing Windows Media Player?

Would I lose my Bookmarks if I do this? (I know how to save them.)

I cannot recall exactly how old the install is. As I had a major problem and had to purchase the recovery disks from the manufacturer, and re-install Windows - and I think that was about two years ago. I have checked the drives for problems and it reported back that everything was OK.

I will give these ago and see what they report. It may be a few days before I come back with any feedback.

The error message that Windows Explorer has stopped working is the only symptom that I am having. It always allows me to re-start Windows Explorer. I don't know if this additional information provides any assistance towards a diagnosis.

12. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I will. I wonder why, if there's so many problems, there aren't more problems/symptoms.

13. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I ran HDDScan for Windows 3.3. I’m afraid I don’t understand its results; nevertheless, I have attached it. I also ran HDD Health 4.2 but again I didn’t understand its results. After those, I ran Window’s own disk scan. It did not report any problems.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds