Windows Updates will not install

Discussion in 'Software' started by vuvuzela, Aug 18, 2014.

1. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

I have five Windows updates (KB2892075, KB2926765, KB2943344, KB2976627, KB2981580) that repeatedly fail to install, giving the error code 80070643.

I have tried running the Microsoft Fixit solution for the error code but it doesn't solve the problem.

I have run through all three steps of this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB976982

The final step of the above link involves uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET Framwork (whatever that is). After I had reinstalled it, Microsoft updates found some .NET updates, which all installed OK.

However, the updates that were previously failing still fail to install, giving the same error code 80070643.

I am running Vista Home Premium on an Asus X50N
    Processor: AMD Turion 64 MK-38 2.2GHz
    2GB RAM
    32-bit OS

I have checked on the Malware forum whether there was Malware preventing the install, and the experts on that forum have confirmed that my PC is clean and recommended I re-posted here to get help with the installation. During the scanning process I discovered that when I run a scan with Microsoft Security Essential, my PC crashes with a BSOD. I do not know whether or not this crashing is related to the failure to install in any way.

Please will some kind expert advise what I should do next?

Thanks in advance!

2. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Yes, I am updated to SP2.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you tried a manual download and install?
    2892075 Dec. 2013
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41267

2926765 May 2014
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41267

2943344 August 2014
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43941

2976627 August 2014 What version of IE is installed?

2981580 This is a non-security update. It has to do with Time Zones. For the time being, you can hide this one.

Download the fist two updates from Dec. '13 and May '14. Disconnect from the internet and turn off your antivirus program. Try to install only the first update. Reboot and see if it will install. If it did, then make sure you are off the internet, disable your antivirus and try to install the 2nd update. Reboot and let's hope that they both installed.

4. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

How do I turn off Microsoft Security Essentials?

5. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

IE9
    More specifically, Version: 9.0.8112.16421
    Update Versions: 9.0.27 (KB2953522)

6. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

I've followed your instructions but unfortunately neither update installed. What should I try next?

7. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Try installing them from Safe Mode. You may have some running app or process that's interfering with the install.

8. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

When I try to install in Safe Mode the updates won't install and I get the following error:
    Installer encountered an error: 0x8007043c
    This service cannot be started in Safe Mode

I get the same error if I use Safe Mode with Networking.

9. plodr

For the future, to turn of MS Security Essentials, open it from the tray, click the Settings tab. In the left pane, the 3rd item is Real time protection. Click on that then in the right pane, remove the check/tick from Turn on real time protection. The bar turns red and the icon is red.

To enable real time protection, again open MS SE, click on settings, and in the left pane select real time protection. Put the check/tick back in front of Turn on Real Time Protection and the title and icon will turn green again.

10. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Indeed I have! :-D
    I ran tweaking.com but the updates still failed :-(

I have been through all but one of these 12 methods. The updates failed after each one.

CHKDSK did some stuff; I am not sure what, exactly, but if someone can tell me where the log is I can upload it if it helps with diagnostics.

The one step that I have not completed is Method 11: Rename Pending.xml
    When I look in the directory c:\windows\winsxs there are 64 files names "pending.xml.xxxxx" where xxxxx is a 16 character string, e.g. 01cfbc4aa96d8640. I was unsure from the instructions whether I should rename all these files, so I have skipped that step. I am happy to try it if someone can give me some clearer guidance.

So, my stubborn PC remains stubborn. Where do I go from here?

11. plodr

Do not do what is mentioned in this thread because you don't want a BSOD!
    I simply point out that there are others where the same updates fail in Vista and I can't find a thread yet where the person could finally install the updates.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80070643/469c0cc1-7dd6-440a-95e7-0eb21ae6a82e

I'll do some more searching but only post if I find a solution that actually works and doesn't create additional problems.

12. plodr

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  13. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Er... that isn't someone else (feel a bit embarrassed now :-o)... that was me trying to resolve the problem 3 months ago. As I didn't get anywhere at that point in time, I decided to leave it for a couple of iterations of MS Updates to see if the problem resolved itself, but it hasn't. So I am posting here instead as I have found this site both helpful and knowledgeable in the past (not sure why I didn't post here in the first place, really).

The only thing that's changed is that there are now new updates from Aug 2014 that are on the "won't install" list.

I still get the BSOD when I scan with MSE - but only if I do a full scan; I can scan the C: or D: drives independently and the scan completes OK.

14. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Tried it with a clean boot. Update failed.

It is Version 4.5.6002.19116
    Date modified 02 June 2014

I have not replaced it.

Thanks for your perseverance! What next?

15. plodr

Don't be embarrassed, that was not the only thread I found where someone could not get Vista updates to install. If one site doesn't help, nothing wrong with giving it a week or two then posting elsewhere.
    I have a 5 version installed in June.
    I don't have a Vista so I don't know if msi.dll v 5 works on Vista. Let me do some more looking.

Looks like Vista doesn't have 5 (and probably does not need it)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372856(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  16. plodr

17. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Another failure, I'm afraid. :(

The FixIt did some stuff but the update still won't install. The FixIt did say that it had not resolved the MS Update issues - see attached file for the results of the FixIt run.

I hope these negatives are also helping build a picture of what the problem is. What do you suggest now?

Attached Files:

18. plodr

Well that box gave me a different error to work with 0x80070057
    Try the System Update Readiness Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    scroll down until you see the Vista 32 bit download and download then run that.

Perhaps that will fix the Windows corruption and allow you to get some updates.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

19. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

The System Update Readiness Tool itself would not install so I have been unable to try that.

20. plodr

Sorry, at this point I think I've reached a dead end.

Something isn't set up properly within Windows and you've gone through most every check list to try and fix it.

I found this to try and get it to install in Vista but in the thread it did not help 3 people who tried it.
    Although this shows Win 8, this gives you an idea of what it looks like when it runs and also mentions
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/checksur-system-update-readiness-tool

21. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Well, you've got further than I would have done on my own, so thanks!

That did succeed in allowing me to run the System Update Readiness tool, but unfortunately the updates still fail to install.

Thanks again for your time and help. If anyone else reading this has any ideas, please post your suggestion.

22. glenns2008

glenns2008 Private E-2

Hey, at least you have SP2 and IE9 installed! I cannot get either because I'm having the problem you're describing with SP2 (without even getting any error code with which to work), without which IE9 will not install. As of now, my mother's computer has no functional version of IE, which is what she is used to. Guess I'll just have to ween her to Firefox.

23. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Private E-2

Well, here's an update as I did, eventually, manage to get the updates to install, but it was through a rather drastic route.

A new update was released in Sept which I tried to install. The installation failed on the reboot, and I repeatedly got a BSOD on boot. I tried Safe Mode, which I could boot into OK and attempted to do a System Restore from there but that too failed.

The repair utilities that came with my PC also failed to do anything, so in the end I had to resort to using the repair partition to completely reinstall Vista.

After reinstalling, I then had to work my way through what must have been several hundred MS Updates as the recovery was to pre-SP1, but at the end of it all updates, including the offending few, were installed :-D

One thing I did discover is the value of partitioning a hard drive. All my data is on the D drive partition and the reinstall left that intact and only reinstalled the C drive. Although I have backups, it was a lot more straightforward to find all my data still there after the reinstall - so if anyone does not have their data on a separate partition, I would recommend you do so for this reason.

So a happy ending, even if it was through a fairly drastic route to achieve it.

Thanks again for everyone's help in trying to resolve this problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds