Is Quicktime 6 vulnerable?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenknight32, May 21, 2006.

1. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I heard recently about a security vulnerability in Quicktime, it said you should update to v 7.1. I looked into it, nowhere on the QT site did it say if this was just a problem in QT 7.0, or if older versions were affected as well. QT 7 is huge, and it has features I don't need at all - with a 17" monitor and 2 dinky speakers, why would I need High Def and Surround Sound support? I updated v 6 as far as it would go, to 6.5.2. Am I vulnerable using that? Do I need to download that massive, bloated monstrosity, v 7.1?

2. star17

star17 MajorGeek

3. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

That newsletter I read really understated the problem - it's got more holes than a doughnut factory!:eek: Maybe I should get Quicktime Alternative instead, ya think?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sure, if you don't want a legit program.

5. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I don't seriously intend to install something as questionable as QT Alternative, and it might not be secure, either. But when I found that the main download link on the QT site (which includes iTunes6) gets you a 35.7MB file, I about choked. :eek: Went back and looked in the fine print, found a "standalone installer" link. It's "only" a 20MB file; not quite as bad, but still a long download with a 56K modem. Oh well, just got to bite the bullet and get it, I guess.:rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds