No-Brainer Article of the Week: "CDC says helmet laws cut deaths, costs"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by COMPUABLE, Jun 16, 2012.

1. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Here is most definitely the "No-Brainer" Article of the Week:
    "Motorcycle helmet laws greatly reduce deaths"

I was a bit surprised to read (within the article) that the CDC determined that:

"CDC researchers looked at a government tally of fatal traffic crashes. They focused on 2008 through 2010 and counted 14,283 deaths of motorcyclists.

That included 6,057 bikers with no helmet. Only about 12 percent of those deaths occurred in the 20 states that required everyone on motorbikes to wear helmets.

WOW - 14,293 "deaths" between 2008 and 2010 (and over 6000 deaths of the complete idiots who chose to ride without the benefit of wearing a helmet) and costing $1.4 billion which 'might' have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets." Still almost 15,000 deaths of motorcycle drivers in only 3 years - that's incredible IMO. I mean, had this been the airline or railroad industries they would most likely be out of business or at least under investigation.​

Good Luck! -- COMP

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Based on this article, Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection is obviously alive and well.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Based on this article, Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection is obviously alive and well. gman863 <<

lol... I totally agree with you gman. ;)

I mean riding a motorcycle is dangerous, period. But, what kind of person would decide to hop on and then ride a motorcycle on the road nowadays - without even the benefit of having a helmet on? <suicidal, I'm guessing!>

Good Luck! - COMP

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

When i first started riding motorcycles there were no helmet laws and we were cool just wearing sunglasses but when i think back to the number of bugs i got in my eyes then maybe it was not so cool.
    I survived a really serious accident where an auto pulled out of a car park in front of me, I was doing 70 or80 MPH and almost cut the auto in two, I went over the top of the auto and through a store front window,it was my helmet that saved my life without any doubt.
    I am now an invalid due to the accident but i could have died at the scene.
    I am against government intervention on a lot of things but not the helmet law or the "no texting and driving" because there are people out there who just do not realize the danger they put themselves and other in.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"Here is a government, telling me I can live longer if I wear a helmet.
    But that gov't sold 10's of 1000's of guns to Mexican drug gangs, they approve medical drugs, whose side effects, kill, they have prohibited a plant that has 1000's of uses, because it would hurt other industries wallets, if legalized. They are corrupt money grabbers, who write up a bill for those with the lobby money, and the list goes on for pages.

I am not saying, helmets are stupid. I am saying grow the hell up, make your own decisions. Ones based on what you and I know to be good reasons. Not reasons, some politico was paid to write a bill for or against.
    Just because I may step outside and may get killed crossing a street, even if I look both ways, does not mean I should put full body armor on."

"Nor do I need a report or a government to tell me what I should wear, while I doing a legal activity. Next we will have a law that says you must wear a parachute, if you go skydiving. Man, the government takes the fun out of everything.
    Anyone who thinks babysitter laws are good, are my nominations for the Darwin Trophy, mainly, because they would be the first to go extinct, if they found themselves having to make their own decisions."

Amen brother Gloozit! Like your sig by the way, I may steal it for use in another forum. :cool

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Perhaps we need the gubment to regulate your pastry and coffee consumption. You know, for your own good. :-D:-D

7. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Hey if you want to go a crack your skull open, be my guest :-D

I just can't understand why people don't want to. It's like getting on a roller coaster ride and telling the guy - "nah I don't want to be strapped in let's just see if I fall out" :-D

I might have said this previously but my sister had a friend who drove a motorcycle and he got in and accident, flew head first over the handlebars and then slid about 50 feet? (I can't remember exactly) on his chest and scraped his entire chest off (can you say ouch?!?!?!). He cracked his helmet and was told he was lucky he was wearing a helmet because he would have cracked his skull instead.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hey, I ain't riding one of those motorcycles, they are dangerous! (my opinion, don't ask for proof) But I would have it where adults riding them can choose to wear a helmet or not. We are all gonna die one day...

Been wearing my seatbelt long before it was a law here. My choice.

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Here in Belgium and several other european countries it is against the law to ride motorcycles in shorts and you must also wear a jacket (no T shirts)

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I wear one of those POS bike helmets when I ride off road. Don't when I ride on the road. My choice. So far, head has not planted on pavement. Course I don't ride much these days.

Just my thoughts, but until big gubment learns to balance it's own checkbook among other things, it can leave me alone with my personal choices. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds