Keyboard buttons opening shortcuts

Discussion in 'Software' started by AronFox, Feb 7, 2010.

1. AronFox

AronFox Private E-2

Recently I've began to experience a bug where the buttons on my Logitech G11 Keyboard seem to switch and begin opening shortcuts, as if the Windows key is pressed down but its clearly not. For example, pressing space will open the sidebar, F will open the my comp. search results, D will minimize to the desktop etc etc. I'm running Vista Home Premium. I first noticed the problem whilst playing a game, when pressing space would minimize to the desktop and highlight the sidebar. I shrugged it off before soon realizing other keys were opening programs and causing the game to minimize, and upon exiting the problem was still there.

It doesn't happen very often so far and the problem still exists after unplugging the USB for the keyboard and plugging it in again, so it appears that its a system problem. Only a restart appears to fix it.

Hopefully someone knows what the problem is, thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

I would say that you have an infection within your system somewhere, so if i was you, i would click on this link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=208809 and go for a, run and read me first option, all you have to do is follow the instructions to the full and then, post your logs into the malware forums, then be patient and wait for the malware fighters to get round to sorting you out !

Rusty ! :)

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm inclined to think that you indeed have a sticky Windows key. I would try a different keyboard. Do you use the Windows keys at all during normal use of your computer?

You could also try to repeatedly hit each the Windows keys and then try hitting F or D and see if they still open the shortcuts. If they ever fail to open the shortcut during testing then you can be pretty sure that Windows key is the problem.

(Just a note that keyboard drivers are loaded during POST before Windows starts so any unplugging, re-plugging won't be recognized until a reboot. **I can't swear that this is true with all USB keyboards but I'm fairly sure)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds