i goofed with mce

Discussion in 'Software' started by jbirdie, Nov 16, 2006.

1. jbirdie

jbirdie Private E-2

i bought a new dell and it had the mce o/s on it and i will NOT tolerate that. i called dell and they are sending a regular xp pro disc along with a drivers disc. i just want to make sure that this is straight forward to just format, install xp, install the drivers and load my appz...or is there something evil about mce that will not allow this to happen - it wouldnt surprize me. i intend to go to linux but am not as literate enough about it yet... anyway to fix this virus called windows media center, all i gotta do is format and i'll be ok, right?!?!?!
    tkz for your good advice and confirmation!!!

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

If dell is sending you the disc, it should have all the right drivers that you need, never knew they would do that. But yes that should be an easy install. ed

3. Marnault

Marnault Private E-2

Windows mce is windows xp pro that comes with an additional program, media center. The only feature that is disabled on windows mce is that you cant join an active directory domain. Which wont be an issue unless you plan to use the pc in a corporate environment. I don't see why you would need to get dell to exchange it.

And to answer your question, ya, if you do end up switching windows xp pro it will be a straight forward install. Because as I said, media center is just windows xp pro with a extra program.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

MCE is basically a 'revved up' XP Pro... multimedia stuff added in. When you boot to a MCE CD to install the OS, it even says 'Windows XP Professional Setup' at the top.... Just boot to the CD, choose the fresh or clean install option, and format the drive. If the drive is SATA, be sure to have the floppy disk w/ the SATA drivers handy, and don't forget to press F6 at the first blue setup screen to tell Windows that you have a SATA drive.... no sweat!

:) hopperdave2000 :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds