Keyboard and Mouse No longer work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Battleguard, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Battleguard

Battleguard Private E-2

My system is a Dell OptiPlex GX1 500 MTbrt
    x86-based PC
    498MHZ P3, 128 MB RAM, #D RAGE PRO Video Card, CD-ROM and CD-RW, 3.5 "
    floppy drive.
    I was working with WIN98, when mouse quit working and screen resolutions went beserk. Was told I needed to wipe out hard drive and start over but have files that are really important so I was told upgrading to WIN XP might fix the problem. It did but then my CD_ROM and CD-RW quit working. I kept receiving error 39 when trying to update or reinstall drivers. In doing research, I found where other people were having same problem and that the fix was as follows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete "upperfilters" and lowerfilters"
    click yes to confirm, close regedit, shutdown windows and restart PC.

HOWEVER, I was very stressed and spouse and kids running in and out, I did not realize until too late that there was only on key instead of the 7-8 that followed. Numbers changed only in the {4D36E965 part by one number.
    I proceeded into 7-8 keys and if "upperfilter" or lowerfilter was there, I deleted and restarted computer. CD drives work but keyboard and mouse do not. Both are PS/2. I installed USB mouse and keyboard and it showed on screen that it was installed and working properly but could not use.

I've used recovery console under R to try and fix. I tried booting from XP boot disk and even tried booting into safe mode. Keyboard and mouse work in BIOS and DOS but once Windows starts, they no longer respond. Keyboard does show light working on it but cannot get any other response from it.

I really can't lose the files on a wipe out. Any ideas.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to MG.:D :) :cool:

Maybe, as an interim measure, whip out your hard drive and install on someone elses PC as a slave drive and back up your valuable stuff, before proceeding further. Bazza
    ===

3. Battleguard

Battleguard Private E-2

Thanks everyone. I tried everything. I finally did take HD and copy work to another computer. As last ditch effect, I went to reinstall WinXP. On installation, the question came up that I already had a copy of OS running did I want to repair. I chose yes just hoping. It continued through repair process and what I thought was installation, but it did repair it and I did not lose my work. Thanks for the help.
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds