Sacrilege----USA bans Vegemite ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Oct 22, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

That is a bit weird, as 'Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin that occurs naturally in food. Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate that is found in supplements and added to fortified foods. '

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/folate.asp

But then, I'm only an Ex-Industrial Chemist and Nurse, so whaddo I know? :p

Vegemite, along with Marmite and such, is just a Brewer’s Yeast byproduct.

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

They won't eat our vegemite, I won't eat any more of their food.....hang on,
    that means no more Mcdonalds or KFC!

Better scrap that idea...I'll think of something else. lol

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

It must be something Vegemite does to the brain, everytime I visit the great land of Oz someone tries to peddle that God awful paste off on me..........Yuckers That stuff to the rest of the world is the most horrible tasting stuff we can imagine, I could make some graphical comparisons, but good manners prevent me. Must be something in the Oz water, or maybe just that the parents had to eat it as kids so they tell there kids it tastes great.

Wish I could get a loyal franchise of followers though like the Vegemite people have with you Aussie's, even the mighty Ketchup doesn't come close to the unwavering support here that your Vegemite does in Oz, but I guess it's like trying to figure out why bugs fly into an open flame.

Now no poison pen letters please, I love my friends from Oz, just do not understand your love of Vegemite, and yes I have tasted it (unfortunately):p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :rolleyes: :D

5. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

"Vegemite"
    It sounds like some kind of bug....wasn't there a bug called a Vegemite in a video game a few years back?
    :confused:

6. brksta

brksta Corporal

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Cute brksta but even that sweet smile face of yours will not get this Canuck to eat the stuff..............Oh yea, the darn stuff is available here in Canada Yuckers

8. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Maybe this is the reason why it is banned? Because it is simply disgusting? [​IMG]

If it tastes anything like Marmite... Then I think there are other deliciousies from Australia I'd rather try! :D

9. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

ABSOLUTLEY SHOCKING NEWS. How can you not like vegemite BC:) . Can't beat the stuff on toast. Apperently the reason is that the US has a law that the only food stuffs that can contain folate are bread and cereal, laws been around for a while but they are cracking down more now(vegemite use is just getting out of contol:eek: ). They even stopped an Aussie at the Canadian/US border and confiscated his Vegemite

10. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I think Marmite/Vegemite are one and the same Solange, but my friends from OZ disagree, and I totally agree with your take:) :D

11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Well don't worry mate, last time I looked on our Canadian Supermarket store shelves you Aussie's and Limie's can get either Vegemite or Marmite, but that's simply because us Canucks are friendly folks, not because we like the stuff:p :p :p :D

12. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

I've never seen it in stores, didn't know they ever sold it over here. I haven't tried it, so can't criticize it, but tastes and opinions seem sharply divided.

13. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

You have'nt lived till you've tried vegemite GT! (love it or hate it)

I must admit that it is an aquired taste though..sorta like red wine.

As Phantom said, its made from a brewers yeast by-product.
    That's good enough for me:mad:

Too much, can have this sort of effect on you though:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

@brksta...nice one

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  14. Phantom

Vegemite IS quiet salty, maybe why some don't like it.

I was originally raised on Marmite, (*gasp!, horror!), in the U.K. But I prefer Vegemite (usually), nowadays. ;)

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I can't get past the name much less imagine eating it.. :p gimme butter and grape JAM on toast any day! :D

16. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Isnt Vegemite a type of Pokemon? ;)

17. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Oh Gawd, not the age divide too!

I wouldn't mind trying it, I like salty, but doesn't look like I'll get the chance. As I understand it isn't folic acid an absolute requirement for ladies that are pregnent?

18. Phantom

"Grape jam" sounds too much like "door jam", or "toe jam" to us - and tastes about as appealing. :D :p

19. IH8GWB

IH8GWB Private E-2

from what i hear is no food but bread can contain folate in the US

20. abri

abri MajorGeek

I think it must be an acquired taste you gain when you are still in infancy. After that all hope is lost. All of BC's red faces express my sentiments adequately!
    abri

21. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hmmmm.....
    Grape Jam...made from Concord Grapes?
    [​IMG]

..or Vegemite..made from brewer's yeast?
    [​IMG]

Tough call..but I'll go with the Jam!
    :eek:

22. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i like marmite and was raised on it. cant get either vegimite or marmite in hawaii. my english friend just brought us a jar over. i think the secret to the taste thing is that you only need a smear. people put too much on and then its too strong. i was always under the impression it was good for you. aloha and happy sunday.

23. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

omg.. grape jam rocks your mom!! in all it's sugary concord grapy-ness :D WOOT!! see the thing is, with grap JAM, you can put more and more and more on and it doesn't overdo it.. it just tastes more awesome! :D

24. bigbazza

Boy, my post sure generated a lot of quick responses.
    I agree totally with laurieB. Most new tryers put on too much.
    Just a smear as laurieB suggests, is the answer.;)

I also think you've gotta be raised on the stuff from childhood. :)
    It is a bit tough to take later in life, on a trial basis.:p

When I worked in West Africa I took the biggest jar of Vegemite I could find with me.
    When I returned to OZ, 9 months later, on holidays, I again bought the biggest jar I could find. :D

Guess you could say I'm addicted. But a beneficial addiction, according to the ingredients. Bazza

===

25. N5638J

N5638J Guest

bazza you sound like me a smoker ;) lol

baby needs to suck ash baby needs to suck ash!! ~~~~~ Stewie Griffin

26. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Yeah anything over half an inch thick is a bit much. :p :p :p :eek:

27. vito2k

vito2k Private E-2

Whenever i hear the word vegemite i think about that movie Bio-Dome when they are dancing around singing that song down under by men at work. I'm taking it vegemite is a spread but is it seedy or what. can someone explain the taste and texture to me. I live in the US but if still available somewhere i would try it.

28. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

The US should look to banning spinach, hamburger meat and egg-salad now, I don't think any bug could survive in Vegemite. :p Since it's made from brewer's yeast I would assume it is bitter.

29. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I'm a secret vegemite importer to the US ;)

I LOVE that stuff :D

30. bigbazza

Watch out Lev, 3 big guys in suits, dark glasses and driving a blacked out car, just turned into your street. lol. Bazza

===

31. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

LOL...it's ok Bazza...I've hidden it behind the Marmite jars ;)

32. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya know, I'm half tempted to try it but the salty part may turn me off. Besides eating it straight up on bread, does it go with anything like a nice roast etc.? Like a condiment, I guess.

33. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I put a dollop in stews and stuff to add flavor. You can also put it in a sandwich with cheese and salad and stuff. Just go for it...it's one of those things you will either love or hate.

34. vito2k

vito2k Private E-2

I saw the picture toni posted and vegemite looks more like motor oil than food.

35. Phantom

Ya, can even be put into a cup of hot water, and makes a pick-me-up drink - akin to 'Bovril' or 'Bonox". Except its 100% vegetarian in origin. Like Lev said, some put it into stews and such as well.

I don't use it for cookin' (I haveWorcestershire sauce for that, LoL!). But it's nice on toast for people like me that don't normally eat in the morning.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. ;)

36. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

So how could you sneak a jar or two over the boarder?

Forbidden food ... hmmmm.

37. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I sneaked mine over before it was banned lol........plus a little goes a long long way.

Anyway, is it the sale of it in the US that is banned, or the actual consumption? I'm not clear on that. Cause I've done bad things in my life that were stupid and I'm not proud of, but I never though eating Marmite/Vegemite was going to be one of them lol. I might need to reconsider my status as Permanent Resident here.....

<edit> ...just read another article as Bazza's link just went to google for me (?) and I see customs are checking for importation. That sucks. </edit>

So does this mean marmite is banned too, or have they not cottoned on to that yet? ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  38. brksta

brksta Corporal

vegemite is very very saltly and does have a bit of a bitter taste,it is a total vegatarian spread which suits me fine seems as im a full time vego
    its kind of like a sticky tar in a jar (hey good poetry)

i love it and i wouldnt swap it for the world Exspecially not for a peanutbutter and jelly(jam) sandwhich yucko:rolleyes:

although i wouldnt mind trying that grape jam, sounds nice but only on its own.

Always Brooke:)

39. bigbazza

Heard on the radio today that an Italian visitor to OZ, tried to use it as boot polish.:confused:
    Same colour, same thick gooey stuff.:p ROFLMAO.;)

Why he thought we Aussies stored boot polish in the fridge is beyond me.:D Bazza

40. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

From what I'm reading it might work. Might make you popular with dogs and other animals too.

Does anyone have a clue why it was banned?

41. abri

abri MajorGeek

Of course, this whole discussion has brought to mind a variety of delicasies which are only truely appreciated on the basis of cultural heritage. Take peanut butter for instance. I thought I'd gag on vegemite, but I Love peanut butter. True American spirit. I have been known to have foreigners (and my sister) reject my generous offers to share my peanut butter because it makes them gag. lol
    What other gag foods are there in the world?
    abri

42. bigbazza

If you are really game, try Vegemite on buttered toast then top it with a couple of pieces of sliced cheese of your choice, and then peanut butter (spread) on top of the cheese.
    I do it very occasionally. Bazza

===

43. how many currently posting, are aussies?

44. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

My Aussie Grandmother introduced me to Vegemite. It's not too bad on buttered toast. I prefer blueberry jam on toast, but Aussies like Vegemite. The ban may be health related. Somewhere, I read that folic acid overdosing is quite easy to accomplish. Apparently 4 slices of toast with a thin layer of Vegemite is equivalent to your maximum daily recommended dosage. Folic acid overdosing has been linked to brain cell deterioration. The only known antidote is copious amounts of brown ale. Ice cold of course. :)

ps: I'm joking about the antidote. There is no known cure for Vegemite addiction.:p

45. brksta

brksta Corporal

Here is the vegemite theme song for those who dont know it

Most aussies would know it if you asked them to sing it
    Yet ask us to sing the 3rd verse of the national anthem and we would be like "umm' nope sorry cant help you with that one".........lol:) :) :)

Vegemite theme song

We're happy little Vegemites
    As bright as bright can be
    We all enjoy our vegemite
    For breakfast, lunch, and tea

Our mummies say we're growing stronger
    Every single week

Because we love our Vegemite
    We all enjoy our Vegemite

It puts a rose is every cheek! :)

46. brksta

brksta Corporal

Im not to sure myself:confused: but if you check the off lounge forums for
    'put yourself on the MG's map' 'CLICK' on the 'LINK' and then go to Australia on the map, it will give you a rough idea on how many, not that you can be sure that every Aussie from MG's has put themselves on it but at least it gives you some idea

Good Luck

Alwayz Brooke:)

47. bigbazza

We are well and truly outnumbered by Yanks and Poms.
    I think we are probably ranked number 3 .
    Not too many Canucks that I have noticed.
    Not eveyrone has there location shown, so can't be sure.
    Never seen a Kiwi here, though.:confused:

Are you an Aussie, Business Tycoon? Bazza
    PS: Slack of me, welcome to Major Geeks.:cool: :) ;)
    Best and friendliest tech site on the Net. Baz

===

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  48. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

49. BCGray

BCGray Guest

There you go all you Aussie's coming to the U.S.A. can tell the Custom's dudes that your only bringing your Vegemite to the US for your friend Bill Gates as superior Thermal compound not as a edible(had a hard time typing that last word):rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

50. embrya

embrya Private E-2

a VERY true statement! i tasted this stuff once and almost vomited. it's definitely an aquired taste or something that has to be forced on u from birth. cruel parents! lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds