Gun Grip Refinish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Never refinished a gun's grips before. Ordered these, and they were just a bit too shinny.

So, I stripped them, stained them, and put a mat poly sealant on them. I think they are great looking. Very warm looking on a black gun.

Would post the original photos, but they are on my phone, and I am to stupid to get the Iphone to work with my puter.

Original grips are on the right. Found the picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Nicely done. Perfect shade, too.

I have a 1911 that came to me from my great uncle. He carried it in Europe circa 1944 - 45. It's made by Remington, and does not have the walnut grips that came with earlier versions and other manufacturers. I've often considered getting some for it. I think the wood grips look better.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The traditional grips are pretty cheap. Would offer you a pair, but I gave mine away to a friend who has a Rem Rand 1911 from the mid '40's. Nice shooting gun, just hate it got chromed at some point in it's past, really killed the value.

At some point in my gun collecting, I would like to get an authentic 1940's GI gun. I love the history of the old war guns. :major

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Beautiful weapons. Over 100 years in existence and as popular as ever. I like the looks of yours.

Remington re-issued it, I think for the 100th anniversary, maybe? 1911R1. Been wanting to get one. Mine was manufactured in 1944, according to the serial number. I've replaced the firing pin and recoil spring, and added an after market nylon recoil buffer. Shoots like a dream.

Friend Chromed his, huh . . . ouch. Parkerized is the best. Most aftermarket ones are blued, I think. The R1s can be had chromed, I believe.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have a R1 S Talo. Will be for sale soon. Honestly, better guns than what Remington is putting out these days. Very sad, I like Remington.

Look to Les Baher, and Dan Wesson. If you are interested in a R1s Talo, with some extras, let me know.

And thanks, am really liking these grips.

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Thank you, sir. I appreciate that :)

I heard there were issues with the R1s Remington put out. Remington has a proud history of quality manufacturing, and it's sad they produced a weapon with flaws. Especially a 1911, which is a very solid, proven design. I heard there are issues with trigger pull and operation, for one. From what I've read most people start replacing parts right out of the box.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Remingon has gotten bad. I bought a new Rem 870, it consistently jammed. They had put the wrong recoil spring in it.:confused My R1S went back to them twice for different issues, the second time they did step up and send me a new gun. But, I mean, the prophet, John Moses Browning designed the 1911 over a hundred years ago... If I buy another Remington, it will be from the used section, as their older stuff was well made quality stuff.

And yes, grips are often changed out. Some friends of mine buy the Chalice grips, beautiful exotic wood and mammoth tooth. But out of my price range. For some reason, most of my friends are very well off. Hoping one will adopt me. :-D

http://www.challisgrips.com/ If you want to see some beautiful grips, check out Brian's site. Oddly, the Chalice grips my friend got is not slippery like you might think with the smooth finish. Very easy gun to grip.

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

It definitely looks better without the shine.

Did you have to sand it or anything?

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nope, just hit it with lacquer thinner.

Better living through chemistry. ;)

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I was wondering about that since it has those ridges.

Very nice job. :)

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Woodworking is not one of my strengths. On a gun forum, there are several folks that have pictures of scales to make grips out of, and they make them to order. I can do refinishing, but will leave grip making to the experts. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds