unusual windows backup file access problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by smackjams, Oct 7, 2006.

1. smackjams

smackjams Private E-2

I used the windows backup utility to backup files on one computer and then I thought that clever way to move the files onto a second computer would be to restore them from the back up. But, I can't access the 'restored' files on the second computer and I can't even delete them. I've tried safe mode, also 'Unlocker' with no luck and 'who locked me' but it only works on files, not folders. At this point I just want to delete the folder and files from my computer, as I've since transfered a copy of the files in a more sensible and conventional manner.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and assistance.
    smackjams

2. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

How are you accessing the second computer from the first one? Did you remove the hard drive from the machine that you backed up to and install it on the second computer as a second hard drive? Or are the two computers connected via a network? Which operating systems are installed on the two machines? You need to provide more system information so people here have a clearer idea of exactly what the problem is and how to solve it.

*** Understand that if you do as suggested below you will be wiping the drive clean and will lose everything currently stored on it. Make sure you've backed up to another hard drive any data/files you wish to keep. ***

I'm assuming from what you've posted that you've already copied any data/files you want to keep from the hard drive with the backup you've been unable to delete. If that's so, then I'd think the best way to proceed would be to repartition and reformat that hard drive. That would wipe it clean so you could then use it as a boot drive (by reinstalling the Operating System) or as a second or third drive in another computer -- either for additional storage space or as a backup hard drive.

If you're running Win XP you can repartition and reformat the hard drive by going to Control Panel/Administrative Tools (with Administrator privileges turned on) and selecting Computer Management. Then select the Disk Management tool. Make sure you select the correct drive in the Disk Management Tool and right click on it. As long as it's not configured as your boot drive you should be able to delete the partition on the drive and create a new partition to replace it (or several smaller partitions if you wish), thus wiping all the information/data files from the drive. If you don't wish to tinker with the partitions you can instead right click on the drive in question and just choose format to wipe it clean.

It might also be a good idea, once you've repartitioned and/or reformatted the hard drive, to run chkdsk on it. Chkdsk is actually a good tool to run on all your hard disks now and then to find and clean up problems with a drive's file system before they get out of hand.

Keep in mind that merely repartitioning and reformatting the drive in this way, while it should wipe it clean for your practical purposes of freeing up all the storage space on it, won't necessarily make your data unrecoverable if you plan to give the drive to someone else or sell it. In that case you should use a security wipe utility to overwrite your old data multiple times thus greatly reducing the chance that someone could recover your old data from the drive.

If you're unclear about what these suggestions mean, please don't attempt to proceed until you post the additional information I suggested above and asked additional questions so you understand clearly what to do and don't cause additional problems for yourself.

Good luck!

3. smackjams

smackjams Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using windows xp on both machines. transfered the files through a network. I would rather not format the entire drive, and the drive is not currently partitioned, there is not a separate boot sector. I could try adding a partition, moving the backup folder into that partition, then reformating the partition. Would that work? I haven't done drive partitioning so could use some advice on this. Thanks.

4. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Unfortunately I can't go into detail about partitioning right now, but I will try to post again before the day is over and provide some help with that. I re-read your posts above and wonder if you tried first deleting the file(s) inside the folder and only then, once the folder is empty, tried deleting the folder itself. If that doesn't work, try using the unlocker utilities on the file(s) inside the folder to get rid of those first. And, if that works, then you can delete the folder to finish up. Or have you tried that already?

I suspect if you do a search through the forums here you can find some good partitioning info, but I'll check back later today when I have more time and if you haven't posted a message saying you've already gotten some partitioning instructions and are clear on how to proceed then I'll post some suggestions about that topic.

Good luck!

5. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Do you still want instructions about repartitioning your hard drive? I don't think that's what you really want to do if I understand correctly that you have only one hard drive in each of your two computers. Repartitioning a hard drive will wipe the operating system, all installed programs and all saved data -- that is, the entire drive contents -- from the drive, leaving it clean and empty. This is fine, if you don't care about losing data you've acquired (saved games, downloaded info and photos from the internet, emails, etc) and don't mind reinstalling your operating system, hardware drivers, and all your software. And then tweaking all your customizable settings in Windows, on the desktop, etc, to get things working just the way you like them.

Of course, it is possible, with the right software, to backup all your data and settings, and just reinstall the Operating System and programs, but even that's a lot of work. And given your limited experience using Windows backup I don't think that's probably how you'd prefer to proceed.

It is actually possible to do some repartitioning without destroying your data and programs, but, unfortunately, you can't accomplish that using the rather basic and limited partitioning tool that's built into Windows XP. In order to repartition your hard drive without wiping out Windows, your installed programs and your data you need third party partitioning software like Partition Magic (now a Symantec product) and it's rather pricey.

Am I correct in assuming the hard drive you wish to wipe the backup from is the only hard drive in that computer? That is, it's the drive that machine uses to boot up to Windows and that it loads all it's programs from?

I refer to "repartitioning" above because your hard drives are already partitioned -- that is, they must have at least one partition on them or you couldn't have Windows and other software installed on them or even use them simply to store files on. But it's often the case that a hard drive has a single partition which takes up the entire drive and, in that case, it's common to speak of "my C: drive" which is actually the C: partition (and the only partition) on that drive.

Anyway, if I'm correct that you have only one hard drive in the computer that contains this pesky backup folder you want to get rid of then I don't think you'll want to repartition it and thus wind up wiping everything off the hard drive just to get rid of this one folder. Please let me know if I've misunderstood the setup and the hard drive this Windows backup folder is on is not the boot drive in the computer, but a second hard drive. And If that's the case, what else is on that drive?

Please don't attempt any partitioning unless you're prepared to wipe everything off the drive!

6. smackjams

smackjams Private E-2

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes I only have one hard drive on each machine and partitioning does not sound like the answer.

I cannot delete the files individually because I cannot even open the folder. If I double click on the folder that contains all of the 'restored' files I get the error
    Any other ideas on how to delete this folder and the 'restored' files?

- smackjams

7. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

I'm at a disadvantage and guessing, since I've never used WinXP's backup tool. But I'd think that if you start the same Windows backup tool running that you used to create the backup it would surely give you the option to delete that backup. Have you tried that?

If that doesn't work, please tell me exactly which version of WinXP you're using on the computer in question. And exactly which backup tool. Looking at the MS site just now it appears that Microsoft's new "OneCare" service includes a backup tool also. And there's the backup tool that's installed as part of Windows XP Professional. And there is a backup tool included on the Windows XP Home disk also, though it isn't installed when you do the regular Home install -- the user has to hunt it up and install it separately and, according to what I've read, it doesn't include all the functions that are supported in the Professional version of the backup tool.

So exactly which version (OneCare, XP Professional, or Xp Home) of Microsoft's backup software did you use to create the problem backup?

I found this info on a forum on Microsoft's website. It apparently applies to backups created with the OneCare tool (and maybe the same procedure will work with backups created with XP Prof or Home?):

"ok, solved this one. Steve's comment made me think beyond file attributes to file security. Windows has a contol mechanism to allow/disallow access to files and folders that was turned off on my computer. So first step was to go to "folder options" in control panel, select view, scroll to the bottom of the list and uncheck "use simple file sharing." Ok that, and using windows explorer go to the folder that contains your backup collection. Right click, and properties... new tab now shows up "security". On that tab, enable access for yourself or for all users. Now when you return to the folder, you can right click and delete should work. It allowed me to clear 64gigs of backup from my external hard drive and to try a different backup solution."

above quote is from...

http://forums.microsoft.com/Windowsonecare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=179726&SiteID=2

If the procedure described above doesn't work, I suggest you go to the page/link above and read further down as there are some additonal suggestions and also a link provided to contact tech support at MS for assistance if this is a OneCare backup.

And you might also check out the link below (again, I think this info refers only to the OneCare backups, but maybe it works with the other Windows backups also):

http://forums.microsoft.com/Windowsonecare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=255393&SiteID=2

Last of all -- I assume you've tried just right clicking on the folder and choosing "delete" from the right-click menu that appears and that doesn't work? Is that correct? How about this then -- right click on the folder and choose "Properties" and if the box indicating "Read only" is checked then uncheck it and then try right clicking on the folder and choosing "Delete." And confirm that you wish to delete the folder if asked. But I guess this is what you've been doing and you have already unchecked the "read only" folder characteristic?

On the other hand, if removing that check from the "Read only" box does allow you to delete the folder you might then want to look in the recycle bin and make sure that the folder hasn't been moved there where it will also hog a lof space. If you do find it's been moved into the recycle bin, then right click on the folder and choose delete to finally once and forever get rid of it!

Hope there's something above that will help. If this is a OneCare backup folder, it's apparent from the linked pages above that a lot of people have had problems trying to get rid of OneCare backups they no longer need or want.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds