Replacing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keyser318, Feb 4, 2007.

1. keyser318

keyser318 Private First Class

I had a thread earlier that was closed and moved over to software. But now have determined that the hard drive has failed and I need to replace it. My laptop is an HP pavilion n5415. Is there anyway to tell whether the connection is proprietary or whether I can just swap it out with a new drive? Can the hard drive have a conflict with my system and how can i avoid this or find out which ones will ahead of time?

Also can anyone point me to a place that has a schematic of how to take the laptop apart? I tried a long time ago and was afraid I was going to break something.

Thanks again for your help.

Keyser

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Sorry to contradict Valhallis but laptop drives come in two 'thicknesses' or heights. Make sure the replacement will physically fit!

4. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Very true, I wasn't thinking about that.

Let us know how you make out keyser!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds