Compaq R3460US Notebook PC, Black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paradoxdream, Feb 13, 2009.

1. paradoxdream

paradoxdream Private First Class

Hello,
    I have an r3000 series laptop that I found in the trash (stop laughing neighbors moved out ) I grabbed it and and thought worst case spare parts it did not do any thing at all when i first turned it on so i ordered a ac adapter for it and now it charges and turns on .... well kinda it makes all the sounds you would expect when i press power ( fans spin ) and the charge and mouse pointer led comes on but it has a black screen and when i say black i mean like to the point like its not even turned on.
    Now i have tried to connect a separate monitor to it and hit FN F4 to switch monitors after i turn it on for a minute or so but still nothing.
    Not sure if i am doing it correct though since i cant see anything
    if some one could help it would be greatly appreciated
    I would like to fix it to use as a second pc so i can teach my self linux

Link to make and model
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...728&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=445589

2. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

Well it could be that the screen is just kaput which could probably be verified by using a multimeter. Laptops are a challange to work on and I normally check all my connections internally and externally just to make sure everything is tight before I do anything else as far as troubleshooting. Maybe it could be the video driver?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'd say the on-board video chip is dead. If it was OK and the LCD/inverter were bad, you'd still get some video on the external monitor. Since you don't, the video chip has failed. The pre-trash owners probably knew this and were probably quoted $350-$550 for a new motherboard, plus a labor fee to install it. Replacing a laptop video chip is more-or-less impossible for the average (even the not-so-average) user. It requires specialized soldering/desoldering equipment, highly specialized electronics knowledge, and (of course) the exact replacement chip and surrounding components if needed.

I wish you the best of luck.

There is one company I know of that can do board level chip replacement. Figure on spending about $200 plus shipping.... here's a link:
    http://www.laptoprescuer.com/

4. paradoxdream

paradoxdream Private First Class

thx for the help it seams your correct about the on bored video:cry i even took out the ram stick and the hdd to try and rule out other hardware and still the same.
    I guess i will just take the lcd and inverter hdd and ram and dvd drive and call it quits on this one.
    Maybe take that lcd and put it in a tower insted of a window or connect it to a 360 to make it like a lap top i always wanted to try that:-D
    I also installed ubuntu linux on my other machine last night so at least i can still dive in to the linux world

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds