BSOD after restarting following a malwarebytes scan and BSOD after running windows xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by ug5912, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Hi everyone,

After restarting the computer following a malwarebytes scan, I could not get into window, nor safe mode and system restore by pressing F8 at start up. What I only had after running a little while is BSOD. Btw, I ran diagnostic test a few times. All passed.

After this happened and I did some searching online, I decided to run a windows xp repair by using the original OEM window xp installation CD (sp2) when the system inside the computer is sp3 after I updated it long ago.

I followed the processes suggested by the following webpage.
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

It was all fine until Part 4 in that webpage. A BSOD popped out after the windows symbol in Part 3.
    And I noticed some new sentences at the bottom of the BSOD which are like ‘physical memory dump’.

Hopefully, solutions for all of this would be recommended by someone. I don’t even really dare to switch the computer back on now!

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section of the forum. If I have done it, please move this post to the right section. Thank you in advance.

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: BSOD after restarting following a malwarebytes scan and BSOD after running window

Can you see the stop code? something that looks like this;
    0x00000001

If so, post it.

Alternately, do you see the option to boot from "last good configuration"? If so, try that.

3. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Re: BSOD after restarting following a malwarebytes scan and BSOD after running window

Hi cipher. I will try to find the stop code and post it here.
    As I mentioned, I could not boot from "last good configuration". After the BSOD came out during the window xp repair, I haven't dared to try booting from "last good configuration" :(

4. cipher

If it is an option, last known good config, I suggest you try it, it likely won't work, but it is worth a try.

Try this: Boot to XP install CD, and use option to press R to repair a Windows installation using the recovery Console.
    Type the number that corresponds to your Windows installation, normally 1. Press Enter and then type in the Administrator password.

At the command prompt type: fixmbr then hit enter.

When it finishes, pull the CD and try to boot normally...

5. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

I got questions. "Type the number that corresponds to your Windows installation" What numbers should I type in after getting into Recovery Console? And what will it run after typing "fixmbr" in?

6. cipher

7. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

I only have one windows installed inside the computer. I will try. Thank you very much for your constant help. I really appreciate it:)

8. cipher

:) My Pleasure...

9. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Btw, if I do "FIXMBR", would it affect the previous windows xp repair installation? The repair installation stopped when BSOD popped out between Part 3 and 4, as I mentioned.

10. cipher

No, you are repairing the boot instructions, not the OS proper...

11. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

I haven't started "fixmbr" yet, because there was a warning after I typed "fixmbr" and then hit enter. Warning was like "Your computer had a non standardised or incorrect main startup record. If you proceed, you may.........." So besides how many OS installed inside, what else should I notice in order to not damaging the access of the disk (bad outcome stated in the warning)? Do I need to provide more detail such as the stop code or the other info?

12. cipher

Yes. And the complete "Your computer had a non standardised or incorrect main startup record warning as well...

13. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

The stop code is: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X80042000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

The following is the warning after typing in “fixmbr”.

**caution**
    This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.
    FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
    This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become
    inaccesible.
    If you are not having problems accessing your drive to not continue.
    Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

14. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

0x7F? You couldn't have picked a more 'interesting' BSOD to get!
    Forget trying to fix the MBR, it's pretty unlikely to be that simple :( Bad or badly-seated memory looks much more likely. Fixmbr would be suited to the 0x7B BSOD, sometimes.
    Perhaps you can describe why you needed to run Malwarebytes and reboot afterwards, it may be that you will need to attempt to clean the drive of malware offline - by using a USB or CD -based tool.

15. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Hi, satrow. What I guess is that it should not be related to memory issue, because as I mentioned, I already ran diagnostic test a few times. Memory test passed and I haven't installed new memory for ages. The computer was infected by “live security platinum”. I did the scanning after deleting that. I think the BSOD is because of that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  16. satrow

^ How does that look?

17. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Thanks for your quick response. How can I do that?

18. satrow

19. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Which one do you recommend? Only able with using CD/DVD? Any other things that I need to notice by using these?

20. satrow

You can't boot to Windows to run any scans from there, so you're stuck - either use one or more of those CD-based scanners to try to clean it enough to access Windows, or remove the drive and connect it up to a good, clean computer with updated protection and run scans on it from there.

Some of the CD scanners can also be used from a bootable USB stick or pendrive, as to which to use - I really don't know, try the 2 most recent ;) they're not likely to fully clean the drive anyway, some things will need to be checked once it's booting into Windows again - see the Read Me and Run First once you're running again.

Don't forget to access and save any valued data from the drive once you can safely access it!

21. ug5912

ug5912 Private E-2

Actually, there's another thing I worry on. The windows xp repair installation stopped in the middle. I am not sure whether the applications or data would be lost ><

22. satrow

Another repair after removing the 'blockage' will stand a good chance of success - your personal data shouldn't be affected by a failed install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds