Easy Transfer from XP to 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hamm, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Hamm

Hamm Private E-2

My fresh build with Win 7 will not open the Easy Transfer File Named USMT2.UNC.
    This is the file that EX put on external drive for transfer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I always thought the Easy Transfer Wiz's file extentions where .MIG but maybe thats Vista Win7 as I not done any transfers from XP yet. Was this the app you used HERE

if it was try this and Step 4 instructions HERE

One thought for UNC files if used the User State Migration Tools, is this HERE (not a tool I use at all)

3. dolittlejerry

dolittlejerry Private E-2

This from Microsoft.
    Don't use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP to move your files. It isn't compatible with Windows 7, and if you use it, you won't be able to restore your files in Windows 7. Use Windows Easy Transfer instead.
    Not sure that's what happen tho.

4. Hamm

Hamm Private E-2

I used the tool on XP computer to transfer on to external drive. But my Win 7 Computer won't open the file. Is there an up dated version or something of this tool?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Posted the info im my earlier post above, links again to Windows Easy Transfer HERE (grab the XP version) and Instructions are also there on usage in section 2 to create and step 4 to recover in Win7

6. Hamm

Hamm Private E-2

Thank you all for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds