Hard drive "pausing" on boot/sleep mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arkyte, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Arkyte

Arkyte Private E-2

I've been having an intermittent problem for a couple weeks but now it seems to be happening all the time.

When i first boot my Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) system, after logging in the hard drive reads for a second or two. It then stops for 3-4 seconds like it’s paused and then reads again. This goes on for 10-15 minutes then suddenly starts reading functioning normally. When it's "paused" I can move the mouse but can't click on anything. BUT if i do click on something when it resumes running for those few seconds it'll complete the operation.

Before it was just when booting now it seems to do it every time it comes back from sleep mode. I've looked around but can't find anyone with a similar problem. I'm running a WD Raptor 150GB HD. I've scanned it and it comes back perfectly fine.

I'd love to get some ideas about what is causing this issue.

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi this sounds like something in your start up list that is causing the "lag" at boot. Try using msconfig to disable all of your startup programs....

The easiest way to access MSCONFIG is by going to the “Start”, then type the msconfig and wait for a second for the windows to search for the utility, finally click on the MSCONFIG shown on top of the menu.

Under the Startup tab there is a list of all the programs that start in the Windows Registry. Just uncheck the programs you don’t want to load and leave the rest alone. After you’ve made your selections, click Apply and Ok.

if this stops the "lag" try enabling the start ups one at a time to find which one is causing the "lag" once found just leave it unchecked.

iain.t :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds