How Do I Change The Main Boot Drive From "F"To "C"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stringbean, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Stringbean

Stringbean Private E-2

Hi all.

Last night, I installed Windows XP (Home) on my newly built PC. Unfortunately, Windows installed itself on my Hard Drive whilst automatically formatting along the way but it designated itself as "F" instead of "C". I think I should of pressed the letter "C" when it asked me about the partition. I just pressed "Enter" because I didn't want a small partition for Windows and designate another letter for the rest of the drive thinking that's what was going to happen.

Going into "Disk Managment" doesn't let me change the drive letter to "C". How can I get round this? Should I uninstall Windows by using the "Add/Remove" facility or should I just re-format the Hard Drive which will clean and erase everything? Which ever option I take, the HD will now already be formatted (or rather re-formatted). Will Windows install ok second time around giving me the chance to make it as a "C" drive?

PS, I have not activated or registered the product yet because I know I have about 30 days and there are no other additional drivers etc on it yet.

2. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

Sounds like you have a multi memory card reader, which has been allocated the first few letters first (C - E probably with your optical drive(s) being G onwards)

I would unplug the memory card reader and reinstall Windows, then attach it again afterwards to rectify the situation. Windows will install to the correct C partition then

3. Stringbean

Stringbean Private E-2

When I look in "My Computer", my Hard Drive has ben allocated as "F" and my Floppy drive which is one of those combined card readers has been allocated as "A" and my CD R/W is "E" and the "C" has been allocated to a removable device, i.e, nothing there.
    Should I still do what you suggested? If so, how should I uninstall Windows before re-installing? "Add/ Remove" or a re-format of the drive through "Disk Managment" thus cleaning it that way?

Thanks.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Just follow MIKKH advice, sounds good to me. You don't need to uninstall Windows.

5. Stringbean

Stringbean Private E-2

Sorry to sound stupid. Do you both mean....Unplug the internal Floppy/Multi-card reader which at present is "A" drive, and then insert my Windows XP software disc and re-install over the top of the previous installation. It should then allocate to the "C" drive. I definitely don't have to uninstall the OS first.

What I don't quite understand is, how can a floppy with combined card readers make the OS allocate the Hard Drive as "F" instead of "C" when the floppy is marked as the "A" drive, and the DVD R/W as "E". I can certainly see that "C" has been allocated to something when I look in "My Computer" that isn't there, i.e, "Removable Storage". Just trying to understand it all.

Thanks a lot guys for your patience Much appreciated.

6. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

The removable storage is the card readers attached to the floppy in your case - but usually a separate card - but yes, unplug it, both cable and power, and just re-install Windows. It's quite a common problem, but it only occurs on certain card readers for some reason. I just get into the habit of not attaching card readers till after the OS install as a matter of course now

You can't uninstall an operating system, just the programs within it

When you install Windows, you will be offered the choice of formatting, which will delete the old version

Hope that's clear for you now :major

7. Stringbean

Stringbean Private E-2

Thanks guys.

I did what you guys advised and...yep..it worked perfectly. I detached the IDE and power cable from the floppy drive. Re-installed Windows. It still didn't ask me if I wanted to select the letter "C" because it chose it automatically. It then refomatted the drive. So yes, thank you, I've learnt something there. Don't connect card readers until after the installation.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for letting us know, glad you got it sorted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds