Drivers Missing after XP Fresh Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by dstern, May 10, 2009.

1. dstern

dstern Private E-2

I have just completed a fresh install of XP Pro on my IMB Thinkpad T43. Device manager shows four devices without drivers: multimedia audio controller, video controller (VGA compatible), and two unknown devices. There is no device listed. There are no devices listed for display adapters or monitors.

In the Display section of XP Control Panel, it shows only "default monitor," and does not even register that I am using an Acer external monitor in addition to the Thinkpad's own lcd screen. Both give a display, but are refreshing very slowly so that when I scroll up or down on a webpage, the page seems to fold and the smooth out.

Everest indicates the the video driver needed is for an ATI Mobility Radeon X300. But when I download and try to install that driver, it says that the hardware is not found and closes.

Everest indicates that the needed audio driver is intel 82801fbm ich6-m - ac'97 audio controller. But the link leads to an Intel error page.

Your help would be appreciated.

Everest report attached.

Attached Files:

2. dstern

dstern Private E-2

Sorry for replying to my own message, but was unable to edit it. I have successfully downloaded and installed the audio driver from the Lenovo website, but the installation of the video driver from that site does not work. The installation halts with an error message that reads: "one or more files that are required for installation are missing or corrupt. Setup will exit."

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi dstern,

I think you'll need to install the correct chipset drivers for the specific laptop model you have before the video/audio software is able to 'see' and install your other hardware.

Good luck.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Use this link and scroll down to download the ATI Compatibility Verification Tool. This will scan your system and should download the video driver for you. If not, try this direct link. It's to a 3rd party download site but I downloaded and scanned it and it appears to be OK. Install via the device manager by pointing the hardware wizard to the Driver\2KXP_INF folder for best results. The laptop uses SoundMax audio which you can download from this direct link. It's slow, but it should work. Again, install via the device manager and point the hardware wizard to the SMAXWDM folder. However, you should install the chipset drivers first, you can download them from this link.
    Good luck!
    :-D

[dlb]

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oh yeah... I forgot.... you'll need to extract the audio driver using TUGzip. TUGzip can extract RAR files, ZIP files, 7zip files, many EXE files, and just about any archive or self-extracting archive you're likely to encounter. When installing TUGzip just click 'Next' all the way through. At the end of the install, there will be a little check-box for "Launch TUGzip"; go ahead and launch it; click "Next" all the way through again until you see a "Finish" button; there will be a column on the left side with a bunch of different archive formats; click the "Select All" button; click "Finish". A window will open that looks like an Explorer-type window, close it. Right click the file you downloaded (the file you want to extract) and click the 2nd upward pointing green arrow, it will say something like "Extract to: .\filename" and the file will extract to a folder of the same name.

6. dstern

dstern Private E-2

Thanks, dlb. I followed your advice, downloaded and extracted the ATI files, but the ATI setup gave me an error message: INF error. "Video driver not found." When I clicked ok, a second error message appeared: "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup." Any advice on what how I can do that?

David

7. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

8. dstern

dstern Private E-2

jblim, this points me to a source to download the drivers, but that's not the problem. I have downloaded the ATI driver, as dlb advised in his post, but the installation fails and gives me the error message about the INF error: video driver not found that I reported in my previous post. Any advice on how to deal with this error is what I need. Thanks.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

10. diya ge

diya ge Private E-2

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah... it looks like Halo's link is the way to go. I was unable to find that web page back when I was originally posting, and would have posted it if I had found it. All the needed drivers can be downloaded from Halo's link.
    :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds