Pale Moon Site Compatability issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Oct 24, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So I've been running into issues lately while using Pale Moon as far as sites telling me I am not running a supported browser. :(

Up until today, I was just getting warnings. I tried to access my Amazon Prime music library and it wouldn't let me onto the page at all....just told me it didn't support my browser.

I found this: What to do when a website doesn't recognize Pale Moon?

I've been using Palemoon as my preferred browser for years now, but this may be the breaking point.

I did the first workaround and created a new preference value and it did work for me with Amazon.

I just wanted to put this out there for anyone having the same issue.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Have you installed Pale Moon 25.0.2 yet?

MoonChild has made a change(begrudgingly): Pale Moon forum • View topic - Pale Moon 25.0.2 released!

I haven't installed v25.0.X yet. To many add-ons/extensions are breaking because of the new GUID. I'll give Pale Moon 25.0.2 Portable a run through for a while to see what I can live with/without.

They are setting up an add-on/extension site. It will/does list add-ons that work fine(some not so fine or at all), some are pseudo-static until the add-on is made compatible with Pale Moon v25.0.X or a fork of the add-on is made. A fork of AdBlock Plus(ABP) is currently under construction as it is the most popular add-on/extension. There is a pseudo-static version of ABP available.

When one add-on author was contacted about making his add-on compatible, he said that "Pale Moon is a completely different animal than Firefox" but if someone would show him a not to lengthy way to modify his add-on he would make the changes.

I started using the "general.useragent.overide" when sites started telling me I was running an out of date version of Firefox.

3. LauraR

I literally checked for updates about a half hour ago and installed 25.0.2. I had v.25 running. So, I'm not sure if that would have helped the issue with Amazon refusing to even allow the page to go through or not.

Weird thing is I haven't gotten any warning about ABP not being compatible when I've updated Pale Moon. After I read your post, I checked and it's enabled in my add-ons, but it's not running as far as I can tell. I have Disconnect installed, so that is most likely why I didn't notice the absence of ABP.

Yeah, the interesting thing is they are pushing us, as users, to write to these sites. I have a feeling if I emailed Amazon, the chances of anyone reading my email would be slim. The chances of them paying attention would most likely be nil.

I really like Pale Moon, but this is kind of a major issue for them.

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

To see if ADP is running, type about:addons-memory in the address bar. If it is running it should show as using memory. You can also look in the "Tools" menu to see if it's listed.

The ADP icon hasn't been displaying for me for quite some time. I access it through the "Tools" menu, works the same as using the icon.

I understand the point of view about sites not using the UA to identify the browser but, it's a double edged sword.

If sites were to use more exact measures for identification, it would stop users from having their browser pretend to be some other browser. This could be detrimental in some cases. For instance a site might only want to allow I.E. yet the browser in use(not I.E.) is perfectly capable of rendering the sites pages and there would be no way for users to get around this other than to use I.E. every time they wanted to access the site.

A while back this was the case with Yahoo Mail and Opera.

PM-v25 is a "milestone" upgrade and as expected there will be some bumps in the road. I believe they will be smoothed out though.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/

Laura, ABP is working fine but the icon is not showing in PM as of 25.0

If you want to see the icon back then remove the current ABP prior to installing ABP Pseudo-Static and then the icon will show. You will have to install any subscriptions anew.

PM's Moonchild asked many addon developers to make their addons compatible a few months ago but very few have responded.

I'm sure that Moonchild will do anything possible to keep Pale Moon alive!

PS: sofar, using PM, I've come only across 1 website that told me that I was not using Fx, Chrome or IE.

New release today: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6247

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. LauraR

Thanks all. I took your advice and uninstalled ABP and then reinstalled. All is working fine at this point.

Hopefully, people will find this thread helpful if they are searching for the issue.

8. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds