Network printer setup through router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waryuser, Apr 11, 2008.

1. waryuser

waryuser Private First Class

Hello, and thank you all for all the help you give. Majorgeeks is the first place I ask for help :) (and usually the last :D).

I am attempting to setup my first network printer. The printer is labeled "network ready. It is a Brother HL 4040cn if that is important.

What I would like to do is set it up so that it is connected directly to the router and my desktop computer (running XP pro) and laptop (running XP home), which are both wirelessly connected to the router, can print wirelessly to it.

Is this setup possible? or do I need a server/ computer directly hooked up to the printer. I ran the setup through my laptop and it found the printer on the network but I dont think it worked.

I saw somewhere that I could connect directly to the printer by going to start>run> assigned ip given to the printer on the network. But apparently it needs drivers, which I thought I already installed.

Can this setup be accomplished or do I have to have a server to print?

Best regards :major

2. waryuser

waryuser Private First Class

Nevermind. I did run>\\ip address of printer. clicked on it and installed the right driver and it worked!!

I posted it up in case someone else might need the info

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds