Dual boot win XP Problem, plz help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Basevoid, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Basevoid

Basevoid Private E-2

Hey guys,

New to this forum, but not to this web sight. You guys rock, have one of the best download sights on the net. So thank you for that!

Here is my problem. I am trying to get a dual XP Pro (sp1 as of now)Configuaration to work. I have one copy of xp on a 74 gig raptor SATA(C:\) named "Protools Workstation" and the other copy on a 400 gig WD SATA which has been spilt into 2 partitons, one 50 and the other 320. The second copy of XP is on the 50 gig Partition (D:\) of that drive, named "Business Software". Installs clean on both drives, lets me boot to either OS fine, but when I hook up my old 120 gig ATA WD IDE drive (F:\) .It will only boot to the "ProtoolsWorkstation", after I choose "business software" I get .....
    "Missing or Corrupt Window/system32/hal.dll"
    The hal.dll is still where it should be on drive D.
    The boot.ini on drive C, looks like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Protools Workstation" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Business Software" /fastdetect

There is no boot.ini on drive D
    (I am gussing that XP will only use the boot.ini on drive C, even if it is booting to D)
    I tried coping the HAL.DLL from drive C to Drive D, no luck. Its seems that hooking up the 120 gig IDE drive (F:\) is somehow keeping Windows from loading the OS on drive D.
    I 'm guessing that because the boot.ini is on drive C, it can boot with the F:\ drive installed with no problem.

Any suggestions would be most appriecated! Thanks again for everything you guys do!

2. Basevoid

Basevoid Private E-2

The Drive F:\ was set up as a master, I switched it to a slave. Still won't boot to drive D......ummmmm

I think that sonehow the hal.dll on D:\ is not able to accept new hardward configurations....why is this.....?

I tryed booting to drive D in safemode....same stupid error......
    Maybe I should boot to drive D:\ without the F:\ pluged in. Then after I'm in windows, plug in the drive and scan for hardware changes? :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds