Internet Explorer encountered problem and Search does not work

Discussion in 'Software' started by vbdanl, Dec 17, 2006.

1. vbdanl

vbdanl Private E-2

Thanks for allowing me to post and receive your help. I am trying to resurrect my daughter's PC. When I try to go into IE (ver 6), it comes up, then within a few seconds displays "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close..sorry for the inconvenience". Also, if I select Start, then Search, it never displays anything. A 3rd problem is Windows Media player also gets a similar error, and closes shortly after opening. I tried to download and install Musicmatch, but it uses Windows Media player, so it did not work either.

I have ran AVG and Adaware. They both found several things to remove, but did not solve the problems. I have tried to run the IE fix under Add/Remove software, but that did not work. I also removed IE6 and reinstalled it, still no luck. I finally downloaded Mozilla firefox so I could access the internet. It has "quit responding" a few times, but has worked more than not. I don't mind using Firefox instead of IE, but figure there are plenty of problems that need fixing, or things will just keep getting worse. A friend built this PC for my daughter, so I don't have the Windows XP Pro CD to install or reinstall from.

I have attached the highjack output. I have ran it before, but don't really know what I can and can't remove. I did not see the "READ&RUN" instructions, so if I am missing something, I apologize.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Go to Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer

Check both "Application" and "System" for errors. Look for errors or warnings that coincide with the times of the error messages you received.

Double click on the entry. This will open Event Properties. Here you will be able to read what the error was. Be sure to note the Event ID. You can then Google the Event ID number to get more info.

3. vbdanl

vbdanl Private E-2

Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested, and found I was getting Event ID 1000 and 1002 error messages logged. After reading several google'd links, I came across something that suggested a corrupt user profile. I created a new user account. With the new user account, I am able to user IE and search. Now I just need to figure out how to fix the other (main) user account or profile.

4. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

5. vbdanl

vbdanl Private E-2

Thanks again. That is the article I used for creating the new user. Didn't realize I was supposed to copy data from the old user to the new user, then delete the old user. I thought I was going to "fix" the old user. Guess it doesn't hurt anything to get rid of the old one, so that is what I will do. I kind of liked the idea of having 2 accounts, so I can have the other family members use the subaccount. Guess I will create another new account after cleaning up this old one.

Sure seems weird how so many things were affected by something in the user profile. Even mozilla firefox would occasionally get the Event ID 1000 error, and close down, but maybe only once in 5 logons. IE, Search, and Windows Media player all failed every time.

Thanks for your help. Sometimes we just need a little pointing in the right direction..
    Dan

6. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

I know what you mean. When I wake up each morning I pray I get pointed in the right direction. :)

7. vbdanl

vbdanl Private E-2

I am not sure if I am supposed to close this thread or not, but it can be as far as I am concerned.. I don't see any option to close it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds