C: drive full???

Discussion in 'Software' started by asher_friends, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asher_friends

asher_friends Private First Class

Hi geeks:major, the issue is about the cleaning of my PC. Every time whenever I logonto the system, there is a irritating popup shows up and says My c:\ drive is full and tells me to do something about it.I have used tools like system mechanic and CCleaner and have tried removing the junk.But the irritating popup still shows up..Please help...Also I have some 80 files like these in my C: drive
    "$NtUninstallKB911567$"

and they are occupying 300MB space, Should I remove them to free the space in my computer??....Please help geeks:(

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Try running scandisk.

3. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

What is the occupied space? What is the total space?
    If you have any movies\songs try moving them to another drive...

Go to Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools
    and run "Disk Cleanup"
    See what it says, then go to "More Options", and in the "System Restore" tab, click "Clean up", this will delete all your restore points except the last one.
    I think this is the reason, personally.

4. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

These files contain uninstall information for your installed XP patches and updates.
    Don't remove them, since 300 MBs won't be that solution, and they might be necessary, I don't even know if you can delete them.confused

5. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

You can delete them with Ccleaner under the advanced tab> Hotfix Uninstallers.

6. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Installing SP2 leaves a lot of space on hard disk taken up by files you would only ever need if you were to uninstall it. Once you are sure you are happy with it:

A very big restore point will have been made. Once a new regular size one has been made in the ordinary way, clean up by going to
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup
    and in 'More Options' click the bottom button to remove all but the most recent restore point

Delete the hidden folder of files that would be restored by an Uninstall: C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall
    Once done, if you try to use the 'Remove' for Service pack 2 in Add/remove programs, that will fail and offer to remove itself

There may also be a large folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    depending on how you did the installation. That can also be deleted

Check that the installations temporary folder did get properly removed - it will be on the drive where you downloaded the setup files, so probably C: and have a long name of random letters. If it is still around, delete it. And burn the downloaded file to a CD so as to have it if you ever need to reinstall.

There will also be a large folder C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles. Do not delete this - it will be used in future by Windows File Protection - but on an NTFS disk you can compress it to save about 200MB of disk space. R-click on it, Properties, click the Advanced button, and select 'Compress'

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks12.htm
    You will need to choose "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options in Control Panel to access the above folders, and untick "Hide protected operating system files" also.
    You can also adjust the size of your Recycle Bin via a right click and choosing properties, you can adjust system restore to a smaller footprint, but will not have as many restore points, I don't use the use system restore on most personal systems and disable it in services. Instead create backups of C:, and D:, and system state to a separate drive.
    Bug

Attached Files:

7. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Thanks for the info.
    ;)

8. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

:major

9. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

"My c:\ drive is full and tells me to do something about it." You can turn this warning off using TweakUI.;)
    Bug

Attached Files:

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Don't post garbage. We all know thats not what the poster desires.

Thanks.

11. asher_friends

asher_friends Private First Class

Thank you geeks,,,,I will try all the steps and report you if there is any problem :d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds