Upgrading from 32bit Vista to 64bit Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hello all,

I currently have Windows Vista Premium 32 bit. I have a buttload of stuff installed and don't feel like re-installing it. However, I do have the 64-bit media I received from Microsoft. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 64-bit, but I am hesitant to do so because I'd have to a clean install, right?

Is there any way around this, perhaps using something like making an image of my hard drive or something? I don't know much about this, but I've heard of doing something like that maybe with Norton Ghost. This may not even be right or maybe it would cause problems when changing from 32-bit to 64-bit Vista, but I thought I'd ask.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly your going for a full clean install of x64 as even if you produce an image file, that resulting image when restored will be of the x86 Vista, so will overwrite the x64 Vista install files.

No easy way around this as x64 has two program files folders and registriry branches to take into account both x64 apps and x86 so trying to merge your install you have now is not going to happen.

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Thanks for the reply :)

Is it worth it to upgrade now or should I wait? Are there any driver problems or compatibility issues like what I read about for Windows XP 64bit? Never used it myself...

4. DavidGP

Hi

Going x64 does have its pitfalls at present in regards to compatability as not all software is compatible, would have to review developers system specs for this on your drivers and favorite hardware as now not only would you be looking for Vista compatible but also x64 compatible, however the majority of main common apps are x64 ready.

If all your hardware has x64 drivers for them then, that is a major step forward and going x64 is worth the test, but do double check all your hardware does have drivers first, even with the massive amount of drivers Vista already has in its database it cannot cover all. Usual suspects in not working are Audio.

What you could do as you mentioned Norton Ghost is to image your current install of x86 Vista, onto a spare HD ( mention a HD as if you have a full HD of files and apps then this may cover many DVDs ) and then install x64 Vista, so if you didnt like x64 you could re-install the image file as this would basically restore your PC to how it was before you went x64.

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

OK, I'll check my hardware. My components are all fairly new save for my video card (X1950 PRO), but I'll check just to be sure. Most of my program usage is Office, web browser, games, and an HTML editor, so that should be easy enough to check. I would also assume that as time progresses, more and more apps will be done to fit the 64-bit architecture...

I have 4GB of RAM and am currently only getting to use 3.25, so this is one of the main reasons I'm looking to do this. Do you think I will see a noticeable increase in performance (say in a game that is 64-bit compatible, if such a thing exists)?

Ah, I might just do that. Do you recommend any particular program for this?

And thanks for all your help :)!

6. DavidGP

Hi

Yes in time the more people go x64 the more applications will be fully compatible, in some applications you may see speed increases, bit not noticable drastic ones. Games well their are some that are x64 ready and just may need a patch to update them.

As for imaging, I use a like Acronis True Image, their is a free one thats Vista compatible but for th elife of me I cannot remember its name at this moment.

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Cool. I'll do some researching. Thanks for the input and thanks for not telling me Vista blows. A lot of people have been doing that, despite the fact that I've been pretty pleased with it.

Cheers :)

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I always think a computer runs best with the OS installed when it was purchased. Your hardware is designed for Vista so it runs well. (I'm speaking from past experience because I was running a laptop that came with ME installed. I know ME was a joke but it ran well on that laptop for several years because the hardware and the OS got along).
    Too many people take some hardware and want to "upgrade" never checking to see if the OS works on what they have. That's why you read so many complaints.

9. candyraver

candyraver Private E-2

i would say leave it 32bit the 64bit is ok but has alot of problems with it ino from experience, i just spent $1200 on new computer and had 64bit oem vista home premium and then i had to go out and get new printer, it stuffed my new mobile phone i had to send it back to get fixed cd drives were corrupted, it was a nightmare, so i took windows back to were i got computer from told the what happend they kindly swapped 64bit to 32bit and now have no problems so i sudgest you stick with what you got unless you want hell to rise..

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You can also dual boot to test the x64, just make a separate 50GB partition and install there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds