What are the best hardware diagnostics tools

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manardshizz, Apr 14, 2009.

1. manardshizz

manardshizz Private E-2

I work as a bench tech for a computer repair company. We're implementing a new diagnostics process for every machine. Here is a list of the things we need to test: power supply, HDD, RAM, motherboard, video card, NIC, and processor.

I currently am using a CoolMax PS-224 to test the power supply. I then use Hiren's Boot CD to run PC-Doctor to do the rest of the diagnostics. I'm just wondering if there is any software that is better, or if anyone has an opinion on what is the best diagnostics tools/software/process.

I'm open to anything new, lemme know what you guys use!

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I suggest you use Google - especially since you are getting paid to do and know this stuff. :confused - I am not trying to give you a hard time, but forum volunteers come to help people compute safely, not to do work you are getting paid to do. If your boss put you up to it, sorry you were put in the middle.

From your side, you can see 1000s of opinions on dozens of programs through searching the Internet, and look for trends and patterns and common complaints that may be important to you from many reviewers. That's much more productive than waiting around here for 1 or 2 replies about a few programs.

I will say this - no one test program does it all, and so you will find, and will need many. I recommend you try several in each category, and select those that fit your needs.

WARNING!!! MOST software free for home use is NOT free for commercial use. Since these programs will be used for commercial purposes, unless you want to be sued for $Millions like the Best Buy Geek Squad was, risk criminal prosecution and possible jail time for you, your boss and/or business owner, you need to make sure ANY software you use is licensed for commercial use - and that typically means you MUST pay for it! This includes security software, benchmarking software, and diagnostic software.

As for that power supply tester, plug-in passive testers can only show when a supply is definitely bad. They can NEVER be used to prove or certify a PSU is good. Therefore, they are inadequate for proper testing. They can only be relied upon to verify a supply is dead, and for testing fans. Is that really how your "computer repair company" expects you to test PSUs? If so, that's pretty sad. :( The ONLY way to properly test a PSU is with it under a range of "true" (realistic) loads, and by a qualified technician using an oscilloscope or DC power analyzer. Short of that and it is still a guess, hope, and a prayer.

3. manardshizz

manardshizz Private E-2

I'm not really sure how you climbed up on the mountain you're on but I hope the air is too thin and you fall off (not trying to give you a hard time). I don't know everything, nor do I pretend to know everything. That is why I use this and other forums. I currently have tools and processes in place, i just wanted to see what the others were using. All I wanted was an opinion from other technicians.

So if anyone has an opinion on the question I asked, i'd be interested to hear what that is.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

<High Horse>
    Yeah, don't use unlicensed software @ work... um Hiren's is loaded with commercial programs. The Geek Squad got caught -"A US federal judge has granted a request by Winternals Software for a temporary restraining order requiring that Best Buy Co. and its subsidiary, Geek Squad, immediately stop using and pirating unlicensed versions of Winternals' copyrighted software."
    Roll your own CD with Bart and/ or pay for every tool you use.
    </High Horse>

There are 'how-to' web sites for power supply testing with a multimeter, I've heard of using flir to look at a mobo for faults, but a flir camera can't be downloaded for free. There are boards that test systems - Soyo has one I know of. Then there is the Passmark software.
    Other than that it is just swaping parts and rebooting..process of elimination.

I think the other guy posting may take offense to some calling themselves a "bench tech" when they dont own an oscilloscope.

5. Digerati

O'scopes are expensive - a "technician" does not need to own one, but a technician definitely should know how to use one, and know the significance of T=1/F and I=E/R (without plugging them into Google). If those two equations don't mean anything, they are not electronics technicians.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Oh, you a friend of Eli the ice man??? Do you need google to find *him*?
    Somewhere along the lines 'bench tech' got taken away from electronic repair & put on any PC repairman that puts a PC on a 'bench' to open the case.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

7. Digerati

No, a bench tech fixes benches. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds