Reinstalled Windows XP and need drivers a plenty

Discussion in 'Software' started by MercuryGoddess, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MercuryGoddess

MercuryGoddess Private E-2

Hi all!

I recently reformatted and installed Windows XP Professional (service pack 2) on my Gateway desktop. I don't have any system discs for this comp so I'm in serious need of drivers for just about everything... most likely need a chipset package too. rolleyes

I went to the Gateway website for downloads and drivers but I didn't have any luck there what so ever.

Can't connect to the internet either so I'm using another computer to post this. I plan on downloading the drivers to this comp and then transferring them to the Gateway comp using a 1GB USB removable drive. Where should I install the drivers to on my Gateway comp when I take them off the USB drive?

Here is what I know about the Gateway from its tower case:
    serial #: 0031874499
    Model: MFATXPNT ES2 300X CEL

I also know that the System Model is:
    Gateway ESSEX2 4000811

I installed Everest on it and ran a hardware report. Here is the motherboard info:

Motherboard:

CPU Type:
    Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz (24 x 100)

Motherboard Name:
    Intel Brownsville D845GBV / Brownsville 2 D845GEBV2 / Rexburg D845GRG / Rexburg 2 D845GERG2

Motherboard Chipset:
    Intel Brookdale-G i845GE

System Memory:
    768 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type:
    AMI (04/01/03)

See report for the rest of the details. ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay I would start with the 845 Family Chipset Drivers found at Intel:

Intel® 845 Chipset Family

From these I would DL and then install:

7. INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 800 Series Chipsets: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows XP Professional*&lang=eng

Then I would install:

2. Performance Software - Intel® Application Accelerator

I assume you have and are using the onboard graphics (IGP)?

1. Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe)

2. IEGD with CED for 845

Hopefully this lot should sort out the majority if not all of the Motherboard Drivers and then allow you back onto the net.

They should be installed in your Primary Drive and will probably "automatically" select an appropriate spot. Hope this helps.

3. MercuryGoddess

Thank you, Bold Eagle!! ;)

You are correct, I am using on board graphics. I downloaded and installed all four of your suggestions. Everything went very smoothly and they have vastly improved the condition of my computer! :-D

I now only have two yellow "!" in Device manager (had many of them before). Unfortunately, one of them is the network adapter so I still can't get on the internet.

I am using a cable modem with ethernet cord connecting to the comp.

Here are the Device Manager "!"s:

Network adapters
    - 82557-based Integrated Ethernet with Wake on LAN
    Other Devices
    - Multimedia Audio Controller

I am also using the on board audio (no added sound card).

Any pointers for locating the needed drivers or fixes?

Thanks again!!!

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well I was silly :-o. Did a google on "D845GBV: Network Drivers" and got some excellent hits. Here is Intel's for the Motherboard:

Intel® Desktop Board D845GBV and from there I went to,

Intel® Desktop Board D845GBV
    I would bookmark both of these pages and from the list it would seem you need:

5. Audio: AC 97 ADI*

6. LAN: Intel LAN Driver for 845/850 Chipset-Based Boards

9. USB: USB 2.0 [USB2.0.EXE]

You didn't note that USB was an issue but it wont hurt to use the driver. Hopefully this will get you up and running.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I re-assessed my earlier post and the latter one and would also include the following Drivers:

1. Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics Driver for 845 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards

7. IDE: Intel Application Accelerator [IATA_ENU.EXE]

These will once again install in the most appropriate location and feel assured those in the earliest post are indeed for the 845 Chipset "family" and are generic (that is working on many varieties of 845 motherboards). I just didn't find that specific motherboard during my initial research even though I was searching the Intel site.

After they are all installed I would finally install,

8. Chipset: INF Update Utility for 845 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards

Hope this completes the installs and your back up and running.

A final point is to leave BIOS files alone unless your experiencing some sort of problems as there are very specific methods for installing them and doing it the "wrong" way can "brick" your board (wreck it!).

Naturally once you are back on the net the First thing you want to do is get all of the updates on your OS and make it more secure and then follow this thread How to Protect yourself from malware! and last but not least do a defrag.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  7. MercuryGoddess

Hi again. :wave

I downloaded and installed the four drivers/devices that you suggested. The Network adapter issue has been solved and there is no longer a yellow "!" next to the device in Device Manager. I now have a connection icon in "Network Options" in Control Panel where it was empty before. ;)

However... still no internet. A warning pops up saying that I have little or no connectivity and that I should repair the connection. So.. I clicked "repair" and after attempting to repair my connecting an error appears stating that the repair failed to "renew the IP address".

The "Multimedia Audio Controller" under Other Devices in Device Manager still has a yellow "!".
    When I click properties:

"This device is not configured correctly (code1).
    Reinstall Drivers for this device."
    Clicking "reinstall driver" does no good as it can not find the driver.

The "Audio: AC 97 ADI" download was a zip file. When I clicked on it, it automatically unzipped a large number of files (not sure how many since it flashed by so quick) to C:\Documents and Settings\"my name"\Local...\Temp
    After running a search for this file (since it did not show up in Windows explorer) I located a Setup icon and clicked on it. An audio program installation Wizard launched and began installation. It appeared to install several files and then an error popped up saying something to the effect of, "Driver not installed. Please reboot and try again". I rebooted, tried again, and got the same results.

I located a Readme file in the same Temp folder as the Setup icon and it said that I needed to uninstall old drivers before running the Setup. In order to do this I should go to START, RUN and type in the root location of the driver. Huh?? Well, there is no driver...right?

Back to Device Manager under Other Devices--> Multimedia Audio Controller, the Device Instance ID is:

Not sure if that helps.

Hi Mimsy :wave

Nope, that's not my comp. Mine is the...

"Pinta Desktop Mid-Tower Case
    Silver or black side panels"

Shown on this page:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/CustIDSerial/Gateway_Learningsu4.shtml
    (4th row up from the bottom)

When I search my serial number (0031874499) at gateway's website,
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp?cmpid=topnav
    it tells me my computer is an MPC professional product and any downloads or drivers they may have for it might not be current or correct. Then it asks me to select the series (ie. E series or S series, etc) and I haven't been able to locate my comp on their list. The closest I got was the 310 and the 310X (mine is 300X if I understand correctly) and all they have for the 310 and 310X is a basic user manual containing info like, how to plug in your computer and other kindergarten level silliness. No drivers. rolleyes

Not sure where to go from here. The help is very much appreciated!!:)

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay I will look more into this, hopefully it is no biggie ;).

Did you look at the troubleshooting tips from:

Intel® Desktop Board D845GBV hopefully some solutions and or resolution can be found here. If looks like if we can get you on the net then any missing or outdated drivers can be sourced automatically.

What a pity Mimsy's link wasn't the one because that did look like "gold"!

9. MercuryGoddess

Hi Bold Eagle! Sorry I missed your last message before my previous post. I saw it right after I posted. :-D

I downloaded the more specific stuff from the links you provided:

All installations went smoothly and my video graphics got even better! Thank you!:clap

Still in the same situation with the Internet Connection and the Multimedia Audio Controller device though. :(

I took the side panel off my tower and tried to get a look at what I assume is the audio device (the little silver box attached to the motherboard and the back of the comp where the speaker plugs in). There is only an ink-less imprint of the word/name "FOXCONN" and the number 1322F.

And yes, I was thinking the same thing about getting the internet connection working and then the rest would be so much easier. ;)

I haven't been through Intel's troubleshooting tips yet. I'm headed there now. Thanks for the link and thanks again for all your help.

10. MercuryGoddess

Oops! Just did a search on FOXCONN and discovered that it is just the connector box, not the audio device. Duh :-o

I've been at this way to long. :-D

After searching through Intel's troubleshooting I noticed that the fixes are referring to the drivers for devices listed under "Audio and Game Controllers" in Device Manager. All of my devices and drivers in that section are fine (or at least there are no yellow "!" and all say enabled and working properly).

My problem is in "Other Devices"--> "Multimedia Audio Controller" and is referencing a "PCI..." Device Instance ID. From what I've been able to glean from my searches so far, errors with a PCI device can interrupt internet service. :confused

11. MercuryGoddess

Here is a screen shot in Everest showing the Unknown device and its specs. ;)

Hope this helps to make heads or tails of the situation.

[​IMG]

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay doing a google on "PCI 82801DB ICH4" it is implying that is a "Network Driver" and or Audio, as we can see from EVEREST there are no ! around sound so I would think it maybe the network were we are still experiencing issues. The only issue I'm having is finding a site that I feel is "safe and known to me" (I'm very anal about these things I hope you can appreciate) to DL the driver from. The closest I can get so far is this site:

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-...Name=platform=Windows&filter=platform=Windows

http://download.cnet.com/Intel-82801DB-DBM-PCI-to-SMB-Host-Controller/3000-2098_4-79680.html

The 3rd one down. It's upto you I feel ok (not totally excellent......lol) with it but make sure you virus scan the file before you place it on the new system. Damnit I was really trying to only give solid and trusted sources, it should be ok but.....but.....lol....I keep a secure lot of resources normally. Please make sure you do the Protection from Mailware thread, it may take 1-2 hours but can save years of data from ever being corrupted and or exploited!

13. Mimsy

Ah, of course. We don't want to make it easy for anyone... Trust MPC to screw things up. rolleyes

Glad to see you got some of your drivers sorted out... Sorry I missed the whole thread! LOL

14. MercuryGoddess

When I click to download at that site, it redirects me to Intel's download search page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?iid=HPAGE+low_getsupport_downloads&

So... I entered the name of the item from your link into the search:

and it comes back with nadda

I also entered:

and then

from the Everest screen shot. Still nothing for either of those.

There are no ! when looking at things in Everest, however, there is still a ! next to Multimedia Audio Controller under Other Devices in Device Manager.

Well, the upside is that maybe that site is trustworthy after all. At least to the degree that it direct users to the manufacture's website. Not so much on being accurate. ;)

Here's another angle Ive been looking at....

The "Audio: AC 97 ADI" that you had me download earlier hasn't been installed yet. I mentioned how it was a zip file containing 98 files (actual zip file name was wdm3516b_Cadenza.exe) and how after extracting the files, I had located a setup icon and attempted to install. Well..... I think the setup icon was just for an included program... a synth editor program or some such.

At the Intel troubleshooting page for my board, I looked through the audio section and found this walkthrough:
    I did as the above suggested, but I run in to trouble at steps 7 and 8.

None of these files were included in the Audio: AC 97 ADI downloaded zipfile.
    I even did a broader search of my whole computer and came up with nothing for all three of those. :confused

So.... either Intel's above guide is faulty or their is another Audio Driver package available for my comp some place that would have the files indicated in the guide.

Or... I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely. :-D

15. Mimsy

I found this on Intel's website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...enza.exe&DwnldId=12170&ProductID=825&lang=eng

Unless I read your first post wrong, that's the sound driver for your board, no? Is that the one that was missing files?

I was actually able to find the files on driverguide.com, but I'm hesitant to link to it, since they force you to either pay, sign up for ads, or sign up on their site before they allow you the privilege of downloading the driver, but if you are okay with either option (I'm not), here is the link:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=205636&action=summary

16. MercuryGoddess

Hi Mimsy!

Yes, that's the Audio Driver for my board at:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...enza.exe&DwnldId=12170&ProductID=825&lang=eng

and it was missing files.

Guess what?!? I am am replying to this post on my Gateway computer!!! I have internet and sound again!!:-D:hyper:clap:celebrate:clap:hyper:-D

I went to the site you reluctantly suggested and chose the "look at adds" option to get to my download. I only had to skip past 5 or 6 adds before I got to the download and I didn't have to sign up for any of them. Its file description looked very promising, but it wound up being a zip file with only one file in it.. it wasn't the file I needed. :(

No biggie though because we were on the right track.
    The Audio: AC 97 ADI contained the SoundMAX program for my board but lacked drivers. Guess were I wound up finding them? Gateway. rolleyes Sheesh!

I couldn't search my serial number because of the MPC deal so I did a google search on my model (ESSEX2 4000811) and I found a message board were someone with the same model was searching for drivers. They had posted their Belarch report and their motherboad specs and system model matched mine to the T! So... I used their serial number in a Gateway search and wham! there were all the drivers.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/mydl.asp?tab=MY&os=Windows XP

I left all the others alone for now but went ahead and downloaded the SoundMax driver.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19180&uid=2434692

The installation guide for the driver said to go into Device Manager and select Sound, Video, and Game Controller then Select properties for SoundMax and reinstall drivers from specific location (where the SoundMAX driver file extracted to).

Ummm.. no SoundMax in that section of Device Manager but... I have this unknown Multimedia Audio Controller in Other Devices. Then the eurika moment.....
    The unknown Mutimedia Audio Controller IS the uninstalled SoundMax software from the "Audio: AC 97 ADI" file. So.. I went into Other Devices, Multimedia Audio Controller, Properties, Reinstall Driver and directed it to search in the location of the new gateway SoundMax driver folder and it worked! :-D The "Other Device" section disappeared, a new SoundMax device appeared in "Sound, Video, and Game Controller" and.... my sounds worked!

Three new "Other Device"s appeared below SoundMax in "Sound, Video..." with yellow !s, so I clicked on each one and reinstalled drivers. I just let it search windows and it successfully found and installed all of them on its own. Some of the contained the term PROXY, so when I finished up there I turned my attention back to the Internet connection issue.

It was the same as before but... I have been using the same modem for both comps... just switching the Ethernet cord back and forth as needed. Last time I was on my other comp I looked at the network options and noticed that it was using realtec (sp?).

Well, while trying to muddle through this whole deal I noticed that AC'97 and Realtec are the two big names in PCI devices, so I wondered if there might be a conflict there.

I unplugged all cables and cords from my modem.. removed the battery and let it sit for a few seconds. Then I hooked it all back up and plugged the Ethernet cord back into my Gateway comp. Tah Da! IP address refreshed and Internet was back on board! :-D

The first thing I did was download AVG antivirus since that was lost in the XP re-installation and spent a bit of time securing my system.

I also got CCleaner, Adobe Reader 9, Windows Media Player 11, and Firefox (set it as my default browser). Then I disabled Internet Explorer and headed over here.

OK.... What is the best rout to take to make sure all my drivers are correct and up to date now that I have the internet back?

You guys rock by the way!! What a huge help you have been!! :grouphug:drink:grouphug

17. Mimsy

Nice work! :highfive

Aside from bookmarking the Gateway link you found? :p

Personally, I just check the manufacturer's website now and then to see if there are any new drivers available. If there is, I install them, if not, I leave it alone. And when Windows update tells me there is a new one available I tell it not to bother, and go get it directly from the manufacturer instead. ;)

18. MercuryGoddess

Thanks Mimsy!

That seems really straightforward and simple! ;) I wondered if there was a particular scanning or update tool that I should be using, but since everything seems to be running smoothly now I'll stick with your suggestion.
    And I'm setting a system restore point. :-D

Thanks again!!!

Much thanks to Bold Eagle for all those drivers and links, and for all the time and effort you put into helping me out!! :dood

19. Mimsy

Happy to help :)

Bold Eagle is just awesome that way. :major

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Very good to hear and glad we helped in getting you up and running. The most important thing is that you have learned from the process and now feel a lot more empowered. Sadly there are many unscrupulous "apparent" tech support out there in the community who would have charged you an arm and leg to do what you could readily achieve with some "hints and tips".

I would suggest that you either bookmark this thread and or "burn" all of the relevant files onto a CD and place it inside your case on the bottom in case you ever have to go through this process again.

Hopefully you have also installed Spyware Blaster and Spybot for their passive protection.

Happy surfing. Ohhh and you only really need to update your Drivers if your experiencing issues or are a mad gamer (keep the Video Drivers upto date) otherwise as Mimsy said Microsoft will indicate if there are drivers updates and I agree the manufacturers site is normally the best place for these, hence my link's to Intel.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  21. Mimsy

Doh. I feel like an idiot now... :-o

MercuryGodess, Eagle is right. Spybot and SpywareBlaster are absolutely essential for keeping your system safe. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds