Computer freezing/complete lockup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juggernaut118, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Juggernaut118

Juggernaut118 Private E-2

I'm running windows 7 with a i7 920. I can't figure out how to fix this. For over a year I've been living with my computer just randomly locking up thinking that a new driver will come out and fix it. I'm talking, on average, about once every other day or so. It doesn't seem to mater if it's under load or not. Sometimes I don't even have a program open and I come back to my computer and find it has to be reset. I have done the maleware removal guide and was given an all clear. I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to fix this.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have cleaned out malware, it can be worth running sfc /scannow, to check all windows files to see if there are anydamaged-
    Also you could try CHKDSK /R
    In Windows 7 you can type these in the search box
    Other possible causes can be the network card driver, it might need updating
    Also sleep mode seems to cause similar problems, if used.
    Another possible cause can be your ram- worth running the memort test, when you start.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. Juggernaut118

Thanks for the help baklogic. sfc /scannow and CHKDSK /R didn't find anything. The network card would make sense because it's an old D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 PCI Adapter. Isn't there a way to see what's crashing the computer with event logger?

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes.it is well worth looking in event viewer - quite often this will give you a link to microsoft, and if it is a regular problem, possibly show a help page for the event.
    I have the core i7 920, and 32 biT (is yours 32, or, 64 bit ?)
    Have you tried the old tried and tested
    control, alt , delete to bring up task manager- and see if you can see the problem , there?, or, will it not even let you do that when it freezes ?
    I don't like offering registry cleaners, usually, as they can make a hash of computers, if not used carefully - Being a lazy geek, I actually use Advanced system care,
    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927
    and it does all I need, and I have it set to run when starting up on XP, and Windows 7, and it saves me a lot of time- I find the freeversion is good enough for most, but I have the professional, as I am used to it.
    I tend to check what it finds, before letting it delete anything- takes time, but worth it. I never completely trust the backup of anything, so I tend to be very careful. with the free version, it is not so intensive, but works well on my families computers and pc's

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I was in XP when I made that last post, so now in Windows 7, and wanted to check-(poor memory)
    I still use the old method to go to event viewer in Windows 7, as I find it quicker-
    RIGHT CLICK ON COMPUTER
    LEFT CLICK MANAGE
    CLICK EVENT VIEWER
    CLICK CUSTOM VIEWS
    DOUBLE CLICK ON THE EVENT
    YOU WILL SEE EVENT LOG ON-LINE HELP
    THIS WILL TAKE YOU TO MICROSOFT HELP, AND IF IT IS A REGULAR PROBLEM- YOU MAY BE LUCKY AND FIND THEY HAVE A SOLUTION

6. Juggernaut118

Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town. I'm running 64 bit. Control alt delete will not work. After the last freeze up I couldn't find any critical errors in the event log. I'll give advanced system care a try.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Did advanced system care solve it ?
    It has a good registry repair tool, and will find many little niggles that can cause problems.

8. Juggernaut118

Still freezing up. Tuff one to fix :( Can I erase Advanced system care now?

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would leave advanced system care on , for now.
    Have you tried the other way to bring up task manager, when it freezes-
    Control+ shift+ esc to get to task manager, when it freezes - if that gets you to task manager
    Click on processes, and click explorer.exe to restart it
    I have had Explorer.exe play up in the past (once when I did a copy of W7 with an early version of HyperoS)- That worked on that occasion.
    anD I think this is worth looking at
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-freeze/b46503e8-8875-4e68-b3c4-793a874d11ad
    They also refer to the clean bootto eliminate -
    Clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    I have looked around, too, and others have found an incorrect audio driver can cause a freeze, and Intel drivers for some graphics cards -- I did have to roll back drivers before now, when I had an Intel update my previous computer did not like, and it played up)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. Juggernaut118

My computer is freezing multiple times a day now. Control shift esc doesn't do anything.
    I'll work on the clean boot thing, but I looked at my event view after this last freeze. I looked at the last hour. I'm not getting Critical errors, but I'm getting 4 errors. Event ID 1001 Dhcp-Client, 3002 Microsoft Antimalware, 6008 EventLog, and 10016 DistributedCOM. I also had 1,837 warnings. 1,834 were from event ID 17 WHEA-Logger, 1014 DNS Client Events, 2511 Server, 3036 Search.

Here is the warning that is coming up the most. Event log online help didn't say anything about this.
    Event ID: 17

Source: WHEA-Logger

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0

Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x340a

Class Code: 0x30400

Does this mean anything? And thanks again for helping me with this.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Vendor ID 0x8086 is Intel
    Device ID 0x340a is Hub PCI Express Root Port 3

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Intel drivers for some graphics cards was one of the faults reconned to cause this, and the PCI express card seems to point siimlarly.
    I honestly believe perhaps changing/updating/rolling back this driver might help, as I am working on an ATI fault with someone at the moment, and drivers do seem to be a bit iffy, at this present time- I wonder if its worth checking on the driver forum

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It seems that this is an ongoing problem, and I read more , here
    http://communities.intel.com/thread/6707?start=90&tstart=0

7 pages of similar problems, with this error 17, and most seem to be with either, or, both Invidia, and ATI cards, or, drivers.
    Worth a read, ifno one else can come up with anything

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  14. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here's a thread which suggests that installing the Intel chipset drivers using the -overide -overall switches and stopping the ATI External Event Utility service might help.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes, satrow, this has intel, so that driver could well be worth a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds