What could this be (router issue)?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hyphen, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

Parents just got a new router from their service provider, they do this every year or two. Already tried convincing them to just get a new router since this one seems problematic, but it appears not to be an option (because they're weird).

Last router they had worked just fine.
    This router is a lot different, internally and externally. The issue they're experiencing is that their connection just seems to sort of drop every 5-8 minutes. I was over at their house and noticed it. They don't completely disconnect from the internet, but their internet just seems to choke up at this interval. If you're connected to some sort of game server online, you'll be disconnected/timed out. If you're just doing casual browsing, you'll hardly even notice it.

Any idea what type of internal router settings could be causing that?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Really can't tell you, due to too many holes in your post. Who is the ISP, what speed are they paying for, what is the manufacturer and model number of the router, how are they connecting to the router, what OS are they using, what programs are running, when they lose connection, is it just you experiencing the disconnect, or your parents. Those all need to be answered before anyone can be of further assistance.

3. Hyphen

I wouldn't think that the majority of these questions would matter in the situation, because they're all constants. They've had the same ISP for 5 years, the only variable in this situation is the new router. Everyone is experiencing the disconnect, on both wireless and by ethernet.

I'll try to get the new and old router model information for you, was just wondering if there are any typical internal router settings that I can access via browser to tweak that sound like they could be causing this problem. One huge advantage of that old router was that it didn't have such extensive configuration options, this one has a ton of stuff going on.

4. Hyphen

The current router being used is a Windstream Sagem F@st 1704. Old one was a Windstream 2Wire 2701HG Modem/Router. Windstream is the DSL provider, they've branded both of these routers though.

5. Hyphen

And a support ticket I just sent in to Windstream, if it's any help:

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, what is the speeds that your parents are paying for, what OS are you and them running, what programs are running, what do the tests show, when you run the pingtest & speedtest at speedtest.net?

Going back to what I asked before, please go back and re-read, and post what I asked for. Replacing the modem is not going to make things worst, unless there are issues both in the house & outside, but who will know, unless you answer the questions that I asked. There was someone else on here that had the same Sagem modem, so I would not doubt that is a bad quality product. The 2wire is a lot better modem.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Hypen, Windstream has a direct forum over at https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/windstreamdirect If you can use the 2wire 2700 in transparent bridge mode with windstream, then you can use any wifi router with a external switch, if you have more than 4 wired devices. Here are the instructions http://www.ehow.com/how_5160159_put-wire-bridge-mode.html

Here is a list of the 2011 dsl modem review http://dsl-modem-review.toptenreviews.com/
    http://wize.com/modems/t219775-windstream-dsl Some other choices http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resu...&key=dsl modem&searchscope=All&sr=1&wclss=N81

8. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Hyphen -

Sounds like you've worked most of the variables on the network already.

Why did they get a new router if the last one worked? They have windstream out for an issue and they say that's an old model and change them? I've been very lucky with Windstream but many people are not.

How many devices are connecting? Any reason you have a "G" router there? What kind of security (WPA2??) are you using. I have seen some devices cause a router to time out. I would try leaving one device up, what you deem to be the cleanest or the main machine, preferably an XP machine that you are reasonably sure is not infected if you have one. Turn all other devices off. No gaming, no cell phones, no network enabled players (blu-ray, roku, etc).

If there is no security setup then we'll probably do this part twice but still worth it. On the machine you are using for testing, open a command prompt. Enter the command: ping google.com -t
    It is a continuous ping that should drop packets if you lose internet connection. To end the ping press Ctrl C.

If the single device doesn't drop then it's a device on their network.

Also, have your tried using different DNS servers? Have you run the windstream diagnostics? Usually more useful for speed rather than consistency. Honestly, it sounds like the router but it's worth trying a few tests before asking Windstream to elevate the issue.

9. npmathis

npmathis Private E-2

Here we are three years later, and I have experienced the same problem...Internet dropping/timing out every 5-10 minutes. I am a relatively new Windstream customer who started with the F@st 1704 modem...I actually have three of these modems now. I have spent HOURS on the phone with Windstream... at least 40 calls over the last 3 or 4 months, and they have sent out at least 7-8 techs. What ever the other variables are (switch/pin/wiring issues or number of devices connected), the problem is the F@st modem!

A friend gave me an old Windstream 2Wire 2701hg; I bought a power cord at eBay; and I have not had a single drop since I plugged it in. I was also told that the AT&T branded 2Wire will work with Windstream's DSL service, so I am buying another 2Wire as a backup. I also made a record of the Windstream 2Wire settings in case I have to go to the backup.

I am in a rural area, and the only speed offered here is 3Mbps. With the 2Wire and only a couple of devices connected wirelessly, I am getting pings of 50 -70 and d/l speeds between 2.5 and 2.9 (according to Ookla Speedtest app on Galaxy S4 smartphone). Of course, connecting additional devces, Dropbox uploads, online backup, app updates, etc. slow it down a bit and need to be managed, but it is acceptable speed, and IT DOESN'T DROP!!! On the occasion that I need higher speed, I use my cell phone hotspot. Windstream could save a LOT of their money and my time if they had decent modems.

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Unfortunately, I too have Windstream, but have not had any issues with their routers.

11. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Like what brownizs said, it might be useful to put the Windstream in bridge mode and use an external router.

I had the same issue with my modem/router combo through Uverse . . . the internet connection between the ISP and the gateway would remain constant, but the internet connection between the router portion of the gateway and LAN'd computers would drop out constantly. Putting the device into bridge mode and using a seperate router fixed the issue and I never looked back.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds