question bout ram!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volumeone0686, Dec 21, 2006.

1. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

whats faster? i have no idea how to determine by the timings at all :(
    its wierd where a video card is higher,processoer higher,monitor lower

i always thought ram was fastest by the lower timing

but what is faster

4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-12?

2. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Generally, those numbers refer to the number of CPU clock ticks that a process will be held by the CPU before it goes to the next step of the process. In other words: the lower the total of those numbers, the better the performance.

But be careful messing with those settings. Push the settings too low, and the hardware won't have adequate time to respond to whatever instruction the CPU is attempting to execute. "Unpredictable results" is the usual euphemism -- but none of those unpredictable results are likely to be desirable. Data corruption is among the possible results.

And with clock rates in the gigahertz range, the difference between 5 ticks and 4 ticks -- even when repeated multiple times -- is not going to be noticeable unless you're using some pretty sensitive benchmarking programs.

3. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

really?cuz i wasnt sure what to get ocz gold or corsair xms!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Depends on what you spceifically want.

I use Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO which has guaranteed timings of 2-3-2-6 at PC3500 speeds.

5. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

well i think its my ram screwing up my games someone told me geil was good ram and im starting to think its not.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Define screwing up.

7. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

okay look im in a hurry! gotta be out work in 30 mins... :\
    I thought it was my 7800 gt, i would play 2 games that gave me problems! the reason y i chose these games were 1 theyre the biggest hogs that i have installed.Like when i play css it only needs 512 thats it recommended specs,where wow,madden07 doesnt really need that much.On my last build i had 2.5 gbs and now 1.75 and it still runs amazing,with a cessor of an amd 3500 64bit athlon and the 7800.I bought a nice gigabyte board pci e,intel duo 2.13,1 gb of geil ddr2 800,kept the 7800.So i have more power than i need to run bf2 and rainbow im just hitting what it needs.I would play rainbow and get these black boxes then suddenly just go black on the screen.Im like okay its just rainbow i put in bf2 it does this wierd lag where i pause then go and pause again.I feel like i have no control this is y it s bothering the heck out of me.So i thought it was my video card gave my girl the 7800 bought a xfx 7900''better card'' and this is the doing the samething.I thought the black boxes meant overheating or something.I posted a thread bout 1 week ago bout this,did what some ppl said updated my motherboard..i mean everything from chipset,nic card.I updated the game the video card and its still giving me a problem.The lag cant be the net cuz i lag on every server there is to play on.This is what the lag is like,if u ever played bf2 u hear alot of radio talk programmed to talk like "i need a medic" this is what it sounds like to me "I I I nee need a aa Med med ic"!When i run i basically skip along.So im guessing geil is a crappy brand of ram thats y im asking ppl which one to go with corsair xms or ocz gold.

8. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

p.s i have a 8mb of net speed and range from 20-60 pings

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dosn't really sound like a ram issue to me. However, I have an extremely hard time reading your posts.

Take time, articulate your thoughts, and form your sentences in an easier to read manner. :)

If your ram was the cause, it would happen to all games. To me, it sounds more like a driver issue. Windows Xp doesn't play nicely with bad ram. If your ram is bad, Windows blows up.

What driver version are you using for your video card?

Even crap PC2700 ram shouldnt cause that kind of problem.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try playing the game with the least amount of graphical settings. Also, turn down your EAX settings. Then give it a shot again.

Playing single player is different then playing multiplayer.

11. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

dude!!!!!!!u guys dont understand this is why im mad! i have a hard time playing on the crappiest lowest settings!Im sorry like i said i rush my thoughts and type horriblely.like i said this is an amazing pc besides having 1 gb of ram and 7900 but it will be.But for an average pc build its better than average and i shouldnt be having a problem like this.The driver im using is a 93.71 forceware.Im just so upset u know?I finally build something my way with the right parts"no crap"and im getting problems.Do u think the games arent ready for the intel duo e6400?

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just for the Halibut:
    Gaming profile:

http://forums.guide2games.org/index.php?showtopic=2716

ok, here's how you make a gaming profile...now...it can be somewhat hard but don't be intimidated...

go to control pannel user accounts...now create one called gaming...CONGRATES!!! you've made a "gaming" profile...

now that your in that profile, take out the background and put a boring solid blue one that they have in there...right click on my computer, choose advanced>visual effects and then click on adjust for best performance.

take away all of the apps taht shouldn't be running...
    and here's some other slightly more advanced tips..

To increase system performance

Right click my computer. Click properties.
    Click advanced.
    Click settings (under performance).
    Click Adjust for best performance.
    Scroll to the bottom and check the last one “use visual styles on windows and buttons”.

How to disable XP's -crud- built in CD Burner

Click the start button.
    Select Run.
    Type services.msc and click ok.
    Go to IMAPI CD-Burning Com Services open it and click on start up type, change to "Disabled".

These Settings will fine tune your systems memory

You need at least 256MB of ram to do this:

Go to start\run\regedit -and then to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

1.DisablePagingExecutive -double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive yeilds faster performance.

2.LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory and improves system performance a lot.

3.Create a new dword and name it IOPageLockLimit - double click it and set the value in hex - 4000 if you have 128MB of ram or set it to 10000 if you have 256MB set it to 40000 if you have more than 512MB of ram -this tweak will speed up your disckcache.

Reboot

Unable to delete from Avi files from HD

XP holds files in it's memory even after you have closed the application using them making it impossible to delete them from your harddrive. To fix this:

Start -> Run -> Regedit
    Find the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\ directory and delete the "DEFAULT" key.

Tweak The Swap File

For Users with 256 MB RAM or more this tweak will boost their Windows- and Game-Performance.
    What it does: It tells Windows not to use any Swap File until there is really no more free RAM left.

Open the System Configuration Utility by typing msconfig.exe in the RUN command. There in your System.ini you have to add "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" under the 386enh section.

Restart your Windows and enjoy better Game performance

Disable Services

XP Pro runs a lot of services by default that are pointless if your not on a corporate network, the following services are ones that I safely disable thereby freeing up memory but check what each one does first to make sure your not using it for something:

Go to Run and type services.msc, right click on each service, properties and choose disable.

Alerter
    Application Layer Gateway Service,
    Application Management
    Automatic Updates
    Background Intelligent Transfer
    Clipbook
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinater
    Error Reporting Service
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    IMAPI CD-Burning
    Indexing Service
    IPSEC Services
    Messenger
    Net Logon
    Net Meeting
    Remote Desktop Sharing
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    Portable Media Serial Number
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Registry
    Secondary Logon
    Smartcard
    SSDP Discovery Service
    Telnet Themes
    Uninterruptible Power Supply
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    Upload Manager
    Webclient
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    WMI Performance Adaptor

Speed Up The File System

NTFS is a great file system, but its feature-set comes at a slight cost in performance. You can negate this a little with the following tips:

* By default NTFS will automatically update timestamps whenever a directory is traversed. This isn't a necessary feature, and it slows down large volumes. Disable it by going to Run and type regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem and set 'DisableNTFSLastAccessUpdate' to 1.

* NTFS uses disparate master file control tables to store filesystem information about your drives. Over time these core MFT files grow and become fragmented, slowing down all accesses to the drive. By setting aside a little space, MFT's can grow without becoming fragmented.

In the same key where you disabled the last access feature creat a new DWORD value called 'NtfsMftZoneReservation' and set it to 2.

Disable DLL Caching

Windows Explorer caches DLLs (Dynamic-Link Libraries) in memory for a period of time after the application using them has been closed. This can be an inefficient use of memory.

1. Find the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer].

2. Create a new DWORD sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory.

3. Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

Tweak The Prefetch

1. Run "Regedit"
    2. Goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher]

3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).

4. Reboot.

It will decrease the boot time but double and increase the performance of your XP.

SpeedUp Your Connection By 20% (Cable Users Only)

1.Log on as "Administrator".
    2. Run - gpedit.msc
    3. Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch.
    4. Then expand the "Administrative Templates" branch.
    5. Expand the "Network" branch.
    6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left pane.
    7. In the right window pane double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting.
    8. On the settings tab check the "Enabled" item.
    9. Change "Bandwidth limit %" to read 0.
    10. Then go to your Network connections Start=>Control Panel>Network & Internet connections>Network Connections and right-click on your connection. Then under the General or the Networking tab, (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is enabled.

It may take effect immediately on some systems. To be sure, just re-boot.

13. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

i really appericate your help ant guy thing but this isnt gonna help me, im gonna put this on games too see if gamers ever seen this.I was thinking bout calling all my parts companies and seeing if this is normal.I know its not my video card,most likely not my monitor,not my hard drive,so im stuck thinking its my motherboard?,my ram?,my processor?man i have no clue on what to do.Someone asked me if i can play single player and yes, when i had the x700pro i could play single player on max settings.Then came online and it couldnt get pasted medium at all.Some reason online changes the way this game was meant to be played.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds