Unknown Web Site Certificate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpecialFNK, Feb 11, 2005.

1. SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK Private First Class

i had a message pop up warning me, Web Site Certificate by an Unknown Authority.

i dont usually use hotmail.com for email, but just recently signed up.
    the message that popped up also said this..
    unable to verify the identity of lc2.bay0.hotmail.passport.com as a trusted site. Before accepting this Certificate, you should examine this site's Certificate carefully. Are you willing to accept this Certificate for the purpose of identifying the web site graphics.hotmail.com
    i looked through the Certificate, but i dont have a clue as for what im looking for.
    it gave me 3 options..
    -Accept this certificate permantly.
    -Accept this certificate temporarily for this session.
    -Do not accept this certificate and do not connect to this web site.

i clicked Do not accept, and the same message popped up. i tried a few times to click Do not accept and again the message popped up, aswell as i tried clicking cancel with the same message popping up before i was finally able to click cancel and click the X in the corner to close the page.

my question is, is this normal? is this site safe? should i be looking for anything specific in the Certificate? am i able to click Accept and not worry?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Hotmail is a perfectly safe site for you to view, I would, personally, click accept as I've never had a problem with it. However, do you get any other messages like this for other websites?

3. SpecialFNK

no, ive never had that message pop up about any other web site certificates before.
    its been awhile since ive even been to hotmail, and after clicking hotmail.com i directs me to another address, http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2 which im sure is normal.
    ive also had this message pop up before with different sites.
    "you are about to leave an encrypted page. information you send or receive from now on could easily been read by a third party."
    is that normal?

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Yeh I get that message occassionally, are you using firefox or another browser instead of IE?

Yes that site is correct for hotmail, being redirected is quite normal.

5. SpecialFNK

yes i use Mozilla Firefox
    i heard alot of negative things about IE, so i wont use it.

6. SpecialFNK

i had the same certificate message pop up and thought i would copy it and post it here to see if its of any more help..

could not verify this certificate because the issuer is unknown

Issued by
    Common Name (CN) lc2.bay0.hotmail.passport.com
    Organization (O) Microsoft Corporation
    Organizational Unit (OU) MSN Hotmail
    Serial number 46:B4:63:57:00:01:00:00:1B:CA

Issued by
    Common Name (CN) Microsoft Secure Service Authority
    Organization <Not Part Of Certificate>
    Organizational Unit (OU) <Not Part Of Certificate>

Validity Issued on 7/29/04
    Expires on 7/29/05

Fingerprints
    SHA1 Fingerprint BA:E6:9F:8C:65:A8:7D:9C:EA:11:06:D3:26:AE:FA:85:5B:DB:38:0B
    MD5 Fingerprint 12:7B:9E:C8:D1:B6:73:OD:28:D3:C8:AB:79:64:AA:67

i dont know if thats of any help, but thought i would add that.
    and those are not big grins, they are actually : then D

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

That's strange because it appears to be authorised by microsoft, hmmm.
    Any other information you can post on it?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does IE give you this certificate problem>?

9. Eskimo151

Eskimo151 Private E-2

I was trying to find out why one of my sites was doing this to me. I knew it was the correct URL, but Firefox was unable to verify it. Opera and IE did just fine.

Come to find out it was my intermediate certificate.

I just thought I'd post in case anyone else came upon this thread looking for the same answer I found.

https://certificates.godaddy.com/InstallationInstructions.go

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds