cache cleaner-memory problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Nov 28, 2014.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

I use Ccleaner,but I am reminded memory is insufficient,does not CCleaner do that?I have tried pressing control alt delete,i heard that did it,nothing.
    I am running on windows 7 using Firefox:confused

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

How much RAM is in your system and how much free space is on your hard drive? CCleaner does nothing with RAM and Ctrl+Alt+Delete will bring up the "Lock this Computer" screen.

3. greybuffalo

I have about 320 gig on the system,but its divided,how can I take out the partitions?
    How can I check out the ram?
    Thanks

4. greybuffalo

Do I need three partitions? can I have one main big one?

5. greybuffalo

I only have 1 gb memory

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Far too little to be running WIn7.

7. greybuffalo

What is your suggestion?
    And which tool,could I repartion my drive with please?

8. greybuffalo

This laptop came with windows 7,but not the ultimate,I upgraded

9. greybuffalo

And how can I clear/reduce my memory:confused

10. mdonah

You can determine the amount of RAM you have by right clicking on Computer in the Start Menu and selecting Properties. The first screen should show how much RAM is installed. It should also tell you something about your hard drive.

I'm not getting into partitioning at this time because it can be a dangerous operation.

11. mdonah

You want to increase the amount of RAM you have. It should be as simple as removing an access panel on the bottom of the laptop and installing another memory module of exactly the same type.

12. greybuffalo

Yes,but in the mean time,how can I clear some of what I have?

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Windows 7 was designed to use as much RAM as possible for efficiency. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. You'd be trying to fight against the way Windows 7 is designed to run.
    Do your self a favor and buy more RAM.

14. muymalestado

muymalestado Private First Class

No traffic since November - is this fixed?

If not the "buy some more RAM" suggestion is a good one. Last year I doubled my RAM to 8GB and have never before seen such an instant improvement.

My first port-of-call was http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en which I would guess is a reasonable guide (there may be other guides).

15. mdonah

The Crucial guide is the one most recommended.

You had questions about re-partitioning your 320 GB hard drive. There are several tools for doing so: MiniTool Partition Wizard, AOMEI Partition Assistant and EaseUS Partition Master to name a few. All can be run from bootable CDs although, AOMEI and EaseUS would require the installation of WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) or WDK (Windows Deployment Kit) for them to create a bootable ISO that you'd burn to CD.

Your computer came with Win 7 installed and there is a Recovery Partition on the hard drive which may not allow you to recover to your current state because you upgraded to Ultimate from what was originally installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds