MSI KT6 Delta - very unstable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phatsta, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

So... here I go again. Have had this thread posted before but as the problem indications go another way this time due to more extensive testing I'll post a new one.
    I built a computer for a friend just before christmas. I've built dozens of computers before, I even worked with specifically that for awhile. I never had nearly half as much problems before as with this system. Specs:

MSI KT6 Delta (KT600 chipset)
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    1 x 512MB PC3200 Samsung
    ATI Radeon 9600
    450w chieftec psu

Temp:
    System - 45c
    CPU - 69c

After a lot of testing with other hardware I've narrowed the problem down to the mainboard. It seems to have a lot of problems with both memory and cpu. Every reboot is a hope for luck because it changes the FSB and memory clock almost every time. All by itself. It doesn't matter what or how I do, I can't lock the speeds because then it won't boot at all, but if I enable spread spectrum and set the rest to auto it gets it right sometimes, and sometimes the speeds end up on all from 133 to 166mhz fsb. Though it should be 200mhz and nothing else. I've tried increasing the voltage but that makes it not boot at all.

As I said I've tested it for heat and power problems but that's not an issue here. I actually got the same hardware working on another mainboard with only 280w psu :D It seems to run better with 2 x 256 mem modules rather than 1 x 512 though...

Furthermore... when the system actually gets it right and boots with the correct speeds it's quite stable. I can run benchmark programs like SiSoft Sandra and 3D mark 2003 with satisfying results. I've also ran a memory test program... can't remember the name at the moment but I got the recommendation from here. 12 hours of shit-hard testing ended up with ok results, no problem there.

I'm getting back to the mainboard again... cause I really belive that's where the problem lies. So a bios flash would be great - but... On the webpage for downloads:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=474&kind=1

As you can see the version number for the BIOS starts on 5.0 and reaches to 5.5. This is NOWHERE near reality as the version number currently on the mainboard is somthing like 1.60! I can't even flash with none of these files! It won't even start! And, if I remember correctly, the BIOS on this mainboard is NOT AMI BIOS, as these files are for. I think it's an Award BIOS actually... can't find a trace of any such updates though...

So, except throwing the piece of shit for mainboard out the window, what can I do?

Thankfully,
    Phatsta

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds