(Re-Post/No Replies) Laptop Not Recognizing AC Adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TLM323, Aug 23, 2006.

1. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Please help ...

I can not get to the "Start Up" Menu on my Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop (running Windows XP).

First, I was getting the following error message: The AC Power Adapter type cannot be determined. This will prevent optimal system performance. (Which made no sense, we have always used the AC Adapter that came with the laptop).

Then, a few days later, the battery appeared to die (if we unplugged the laptop, it would turn off instantly) ... by chance, it was part of the Dell Battery Recall so I removed the battery & I am waiting for a new one to arrive.

THE LAPTOP WORKED FINE FOR 2 DAYS, WITH NO BATTERY INSTALLED.

Now, when I turn the power on (still using the AC Adapter), I get the Dell Logo & the Windows XP Logo, but then I get locked up with the following error message:

STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}
    The application or DLL \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\basesrv.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

What's going on here???

Please advise.
    Thank You!
    ~ Tammy

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Have you tried testing the memory to see if it is a bad piece of memory?

You can use Memtest 86 to test your memory. It will make a floppy that the system will boot to and let it run for a good three passes, and see if it throws any errors.

Let us know if you need help making the memtest floppy.

And ofcourse you will have to make sure you are booting to the floppy before the hard drive in order for this test to run/work.

Roger

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you have nlite installed?

It sounds like the dll fille is damaged,

You need to install a new copy to your C:Windows\System32 folder using
    Recovery Console.

"Use Expand.exe in the Recovery Console
    To use Expand.exe in the Recovery Console, follow these steps:
    1. Insert your Windows XP installation disk into your CD drive or DVD drive.
    2. Start the Recovery Console.

For additional information about how to install and use the Recovery Console
    in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017/en-us How to install and use the
    Recovery Console in Windows XP
    3. At the command prompt, type "expand d:\i386\user32.dl_ C:Windows\System32
    and then press ENTER."

4. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

STOP: c000007b {Bad Image} ERROR MSG.

Thank you BOTH for your ideas ...

Update: The new Dell Battery just arrived ... it didn't help. Still receiving the same Error Message (after Dell & Windows XP Logo's):

STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}
    The application or DLL \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\basesrv.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

No clue if this is a memory issue?

Also, I don't know what nlite is? So I'm not sure if it's installed on the laptop? If I choose "Recovery" on the installation disk will I lose anything that is currently stored on the computer (files, photos, etc.)?

Please advise.

5. TimW

YOu shouldn't if you are only doing what was suggested :
    At the command prompt, type "expand d:\i386\user32.dl_ C:Windows\System32
    and then press ENTER."

6. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Turns out ... my DELL didn't come with any DISKS! Just a picture of a disk, with a notice that you can go ONLINE for Troubleshooting!!! I can't get ONLINE! :( Now what do I do???

7. TimW

Call them and bitch .....they should provide you with a disc ....
    1-800-873-2244
    Have your sevice tag number handy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds