Black Screen After Logging in to Vista Home Basic

Discussion in 'Software' started by magiclcj, Jan 9, 2011.

1. magiclcj

magiclcj Private E-2

ok I am usually the one fixing computers, but I have ran in to a problem that I cannot fix.

My father's computer is an eMachine from wal-mart running Windows Vista Home Basic. Recently he called me and said the screen was going black.

I came over and when it goes to the log-in screen, I enter his password and it goes to a black screen. The mouse will still move around but nothing else.

CTL-ALT-DEL will not work. I have used a recover disc check memory and nothing shows up. Safe mode will not boot except command prompt, the others goes to the black screen as well.

On command prompt I was able to run chkdsk and this is what I got:

69744639 KB total disk space
    54271044 KB in 182392 files
    97108 KB in 25006 indexes
    0 KB in bad sectors
    327483 KB in use by the system
    65536 KB occupied by the log file
    15049004 KB available on the disk

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
    17436159 total allocation units on disk
    3762251 allocation units available on disk

Any ideas?

2. magiclcj

magiclcj Private E-2

up-date

I got it to go into command prompt safe mode and decided to look at windows tasklist and there were numerous svchost.exe running so I terminiated them and got it to load safemode windows, but when I restarted it still went back to the black screen

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Try getting into Safe Mode, and use the most recent Restore Point to "turn back the clock" on the PC.

It's a good first step.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds