Unknown Setup.exe file attempting to run at startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by goliano, Jan 28, 2011.

1. goliano

goliano Corporal

After having problems running a new install of PowerDVD, I was instructed to uninstall the app and run a registry cleaner to remove all traces of it and any prior installations before re-installing. After restarting, I received the attached error message before the desktop appeared. Any idea what this is?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

3. goliano

goliano Corporal

I used CCleaner's registry cleaner.

Also, on my next restart the error didn't appear, but that's still no consolation.

4. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Sorry i'm late with my reply, but try reinstalling the old version or do a system restore to before you unistalled, then download http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html and this gives you the option to uninstall the leftovers within the registry without using ccleaner, its a really good program, with ease of use ! ;)
    Bedtime for me now :zzz Gudnite !
    C U 2mrw ! :wave

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What you could try is to in CCLeaner is to click Tools > Startup and see if that unknown file is listed in the startups list? if any unknowns are there delete or disable them to test.

But it may just be part of the uninstall routine for PowerDVD and doing a registry clean may have deleted the RUNONCE option for this apps installer claeanup to run at next boot, so if you dont see it again error at boot your likely ok.

6. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

As DavidGP suggested, some uninstallers do not finish their routines until after a reboot: if you remove the uninstaller files or the link to them from Run Once before rebooting, this is the expected outcome.

Had you run the uninstall, rebooted and then checked/cleaned the registry for remnants, this wouldn't have occurred. Running CCleaner should remove most, if not all, the residue left. If not, search the files/folders and Registry manually for traces and delete them - be careful.

Bugballou's suggestion might fix it if it's an *.msi/u installer that was used originally. Revo usually works well with all types of installers.

8. goliano

goliano Corporal

Thanks for all your replies. I have not seen the message again, so like you all said, it was probably removed by the registry cleaner prior to restart.

Now I'm having problems with getting .AVI files encoded with Xvid MPEG-4 to play in PowerDVD 8 Ultra, yet they'll play perfectly in WMP and VLC. I posted a message to Cyberlink's PowerDVD Forum on Saturday, but have yet to get a response. Can this be dealt with here?

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

goliano, it would be best to create a new thread regarding this new issue. :major

10. goliano

goliano Corporal

Ok. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds