Sun "Burn Tips"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goldenskull, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

If you get Sun Burned Real easy like me.

Best thing to do is Grab a Ice Pack it help's tremendously.

And if you feel like your Body is getting to hot.

Another Best thing to do with Ice Packs is Wrap one around your neck.

Your Neck has Main Blood Vessels that goes to your heart.

And all so for Xtreme Coolness Stick Ice Packs under your Arm pits as well.

I seen this method work and it does work.I work in a hot building on the weekends and very little can not be done about the heat be cause of all the machines they got.

And these Two method's do work Doctors use them in hospitals with patients that have high fever.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Best options are to use sun cream at a high SPF factor, wear a hat as head is an easy place to get sun burn.

Or dont go in the sun at all if its seriously high temps and clear skys.

Info here on Sunburn, Symptoms, Causes and Treatments

But I more think you are talking of heat exhaustion/heatstroke over sun burn as they are two different things.

3. Goldenskull

There kinda both if you think about it.In side and out side are both getting both hot.

Same method helps with sun burn Even if i use Sunblock you still get a little bit.

Trust me ICE pack helps i just did it on my Arms 20mins ago and my skin feels alot more cooler then it was be for.And i feel less stinging from the burn.

But ICE packs does do a good job on sunburn.It drastically cools the skin.It is kinda like running Cold water over your finger if you get burned bye a hot surface or flame.

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

U.V. is the main enemy in the summer, so like Dave said, a U.V. total blockout cream should be employed, that will at least reduce the risk of getting Melanoma - something you don't wanna get, trust me. Hats, etc. are a no-brainer when working outdoors in hot conditions.
    The neck contains several major blood vessels, including the Carotid arteries, which supply blood to the brain, (not the heart). The brain being the main bodily organ you need to keep cool in summer. It's not always convenient to walk around with ice packs on, or ice may be unavailable, so a wet cloth or handkerchief wrapped around the neck does wonders in keeping cool. (I've worked in some pretty hot industrial environments).
    Where I live, we have the highest U.V. rating in the world and one of the hottest summers, so you get to learn various 'survival' tricks pretty soon. (And I'm from the U.K. so I definitely aint used to it!).

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Another thing to remember: It doesn't have to be warm outside to get a sunburn.

Case in point: One of the worst sunburns I ever received was during an outdoor event several years ago in February where the outdoor air temp was about 55F. Since the sun's rays aren't as powerful (lower UV) in the Winter versus in the Summer, I didn't give sunscreen much thought.

Although the rest of my body was covered with clothing, my face and neck were as red as a lobster for over a week afterward.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Don't use creams be a man just burn and suffer.

Pretend like it doesn't hurt,if your friend has sunburn and has a ice pack on slap it and call him a wuss. The only time a man should handle cream is when a hot girl asks for some to be applied.

Being a man is hard at times but I didn't make the rules I just play the game:-D

7. Goldenskull

lol your just plan crazy then.

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

No, he's British :major

Ok I had to comment on this as my mother is a red head, I have dark hair but will burn to the point of blistering in less than an hour and then go white again.
    I have scars on my feet from sunburn.
    Just letting you know I seriously know what I'm talking about here.

Sunburn and Heat Exhaustion are 2 completely different things.
    They are as similar as 2 very dissimilar things singing 2 different songs.

Sunburn is where the skin has been damaged, much in the same way you would burn meat, since that is exactly whats going on.
    On many it's just a matter of going red and then brown, for those of us with fair skin it is a matter of pain, tight skin that feels like it's tearing, blistering, peeling and eventually going back to a slightly darker shade of white.

Heat exhaustion is where your core temp is too high and you get headaches, nausea, sickness and possible fainting.
    Also not pleasant, I have had this a handful of times.

The actual best method I have ever tried for sunburn relief is a pump or aerosol spray can of iced water, it sprays a super cool mist of water over the area which almost instantly makes it feel normal, at which point you can add the after sun moisturiser without the pain, which means you can apply it properly. The spray is hard to find though, I've only ever tried it a few times and each time someone had bough it on holiday at various countries.

9. DavidGP

Well just barely I think, although he is not far from me, far enought though :-D

Ding Ding... knockout.

I agree ned and Nope not the same at all one is skin burn which can lead to cancers and the other is core body temperature getting too hot, an ice pack is not going to help you prevent skin cancer from excessive sun.

Yes the ice pack can help reduce the burning sensation of the skin but damage is done so as the title of thread states "sun burn" I really want to make it clear that just an ICE PACK is not going to be the answer and is not a tip I'd wish to post on the forum for others to follow for Sun Burn as this condiction is much more serious medical condition than just being hot and needing cooling down.

Only have to ask some of the Aussie members here (Phantom aka Barry)about the dangers of the sun, they have had active campaigns running for years on the perils associated with sun burn.

If you burn too much its damage done, no ICE pack will help the skin, it may relieve the pain of the burn, but again SUN BURN TIPS are not tips that are medically sound, only have to speak to some of the other depts in work to know this and I work for UK Gov Health Dept so know a fair bit about this subject in chatting to folk from the depts that deal with this and its effects.

ICE Packs will help heat exhaustion a bit but if its severe then hospital and indeed ICE packs are used but in controlled mannor, what you are advocating is a mild cooling for a humid hot day if your are outside or in office, and I would agree a cooling drink or ice will help, but Sun Burn NO.

10. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

One thing one needs to consider after a sunburn is to watch the conditions of any mole on your skin - get someone to look at your back as well. If there are any changes, gets darker, etc., see a dermatologist as soon as you can. You don't want to face melanoma - skin cancer.

11. DavidGP

Hi Ken

Superb advice and I agree with you as in work we can get checks periodically throughout the year from the dermatology dept, on this, I'm really lucky as I can get checked for all sorts of things and get vaccinated on any major issue, like Flu, HepB etc like a pin cusion at times, but the eye checks I can get are seriously valuable, my medical area is Ophthalmology anyways, but eyes are the key to other issues and the soul.

Not @Ken.....

I just do not want advice on Majorgeeks even if its not tech advice going out with spurious "tips" that are not medically sound (hence why I linked to UK Health Dept advice on subjects), thats not great for the forum as a whole and will lead to a temp or permanent ban of any member. Trust me I do not mess about with this stuff.

While we are renounded for tech advice the same goes for off-topics, while in many cases they are lighthearted if you go after a subject thats scientifically technical then need to be really careful.

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I know just how you feel Ned, i am dark haired as well but burn like a redhead, when i was in the military and serving in several exotic climes i was easy to spot because i am the one swimming with a T shirt on.roflmao

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Something I forgot to mention and reinforcing what David said, the best treatment for Sunburn is prevention, not to get sunburnt in the first place.
    Now, I have a wealth of information on diet, fitness and health in general that has all come from my dietary change the last few months.
    One of the sections is about sunburn.
    It's pretty simple... regardless of what sunscreen you use, extended exposure to the sun is not good.... Period!
    To be honest my memory is not helping right now but something along the lines of sun screen only protects you from certain rays, but not other that also damage skin and can lead to various serious issues.
    If you want to tan then 5-15 minutes per day in the sun is enough, lunch breaks etc, the rest of the time you should cover up as much as possible.
    I realise for those working outside (I did this for many years) can be tricky to stay out of the sun and too hot to cover up, this is the catch 22, it's almost a choice between sunburn and heat exhaustion. So covering up as much as possible but at the same time drinking plenty of water and residing in the shade whenever you can is of paramount importance.
    Those of you who say "Oh I don't burn, I just tan".... stop being stupid, if your skin is changing colour then it is being damaged, tan is NOT healthy, yes you need sunlight for the good properties and vitamins, but tanning is not as healthy as we always thought.
    Your skin burns regardless of whether you experience pain or not, just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean you are immune to the sun.
    The cover up and protection rules apply to every man, woman and child on the planet.
    There is no argument to this, this is scientific FACT!

14. DavidGP

Ned Fantastic post and I cannot add any more to what you posted, it covers the practicality of SUN and its perils.

15. Phantom

Yep, the skin produces dark pigmentation, (Melanin) for a reason - that is to shield OUT the U.V. light. (i.e. it is dangerous). A small amount is helpful for vit D, but let's face it, you can get vit d from margarine/butter, nuts, etc. as well. In hot climates like ours, and what most of the U.S. is receiving right now, just driving down the street can leave you with sunburn, since the sunlight is always beating down on you from some angle.
    Go down to the water? Usually, the worst thing you can do, because you now get reflected radiation from the water as well as direct exposure.

Like Ned said - Sun tans are NOT healthy! They don't even look good, i.m.o.

16. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ah-HA! You're a whitey too, only us whitey's say tans look bad :-D

17. Phantom

Yup, - the great white "ghost who walks!..." roflmao

Nothing wrong with olive complexions if that's your skin type, but brown skin on someone who's normally white just looks out of place to me - just i.m.h.o. ~ What I don't get is why someone would put their life at risk to look like that??...:confused

18. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

The running joke here is that I may not have been born with red hair, but I certainly have the complexion for it. LOL I don't tan. I burn, and then I peel, and then I'm white. Typically, I use at least a 48SPF sunblock, and reapply every 30-45 minutes. The trouble is, I work outside a lot. Which means no matter what sunblock I use, I sweat it off almost immediately, especially this summer with record-high heat.

Currently, my forehead is peeling from the last time I worked outside. I put sunblock on every 20 minutes, but it wasn't good enough. We're not allowed to wear hats at that particular venue. :(

As for heat, there are several ways I've developed to stay cool, but my favourite is to put some Sea Breeze (the skin cleanser) in a bucket of ice water, and then wash my face and neck with it. The combination of the cold water and astringent is amazing when you're hot.

19. Goldenskull

I still find that useing a Ice Pack is still good on burned skin it helps with ths Stinging as well it is like a Flam burn you put cold water a burn kinda the same with the Ice pack.

Faster you can cool your skin the better.

Sorry to say i am one person that can take pain.
    I have had all of my teeth pulled.While fully awake and with out any nova cane.

But when it comes to Burned skin i can not stand it.

Herts like hell when you try to wash your hands.or your arms.Top of my head i don't feel as much but when it comes to hands and feet i hate getting them both burned.

I do have a higher Tallerence in pain then most people.I very rerely take any pain killers only time i do is for a headache.

20. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

I'm sorry, but your lack of grammar and proper spelling pretty much makes most of what you "say" very hard to take seriously, just my .02

21. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Once I went to the beach and it was rather overcast and I forgot about sunscreen (stupid me I know) and by the end of the day I was cooked like a lobster (looked like one too :-D ) and it hurt A LOT! I tried everything, ice, aloe, wet washcloths and nothing worked long term, I'd get maybe 5 minutes of relief with aloe but that's it. I came on here to lament about my pain and it was Mimsy (i believe) who told me about using yogurt. It sounded crazy but i had nothing to lose. I bought the yogurt (plain) and I slathered a nice layer on my sunburn. I waited until it dried and then I washed it off. I was amazed at how it no longer hurt. Sure, I was still red as a tomato but at least now I could sit/lay down without pain and the pain never came back.

I tell everyone I know who mentions to me about their painful sunburn and they all look at me like I'm crazy but then they try and they just can't thank me enough.

22. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I used to be pastey as a kid. Not any more.Years of going the the beach in England, burning every summer. Then moving here where, as a teen, burning every hotter summer. There was no sunscreen, we put stuff on the tan. It's amazing we live as long as we do.
    Given a choice, I'll pick shade. This aside I don't agree with covering up all the time in the sun. The sun is good for you, just in small doses. The lighter your skin the less time you can spend. I usually wear a t shirt and shorts all summer.
    This is interesting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_sun_exposure

There looking for clarification on some of the info, but it's still a good read.

23. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Always read the small print,package holidays are cheap for a reason...

24. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

:-d:-d

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds