Printer Sharing Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Drewzer03, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok, I asked this question a few days ago, and I didn't really get much help that I could really understand so here I post it again. (No offense to those who did help, I thank you!) I have two different computers. One is the "main" computer running Windows 98. Slow don't use it that much but my printer etc. is loaded to it. I'ts the desktop PC so that's why I call it the "Main" computer. I also have a Laptop which I am currently using, it has Windows XP home edition. Also I have a linksys wireless B router hardwired to the main computer and a wireless access card on the laptop computer to connect to the internet. I am new at this whole Networking thing but I need to know what I have to do in order to use the printer on the main pc on my laptop. Example, project I need to print but no printer for the laptop, is there a way to print on that printer? Please help! thanks! :)
    I was told all I need to do is know the name and IP address of the printer on the main pc and ad it to my laptop. Is it that Easy?? please help

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, you have to add File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks on your main computer to allow the printer to be shared on the network. But obviously for the laptop to get to it the main computer will have to be on. (Adding a print server can get you around that). On the laptop you have to add a new Network printer. It should be able to find the networked printer once it is shared on you main computer (reboot needed after sharing).

3. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

How can I do this?? Right click on the printer and give it a name and turn on sharing?? And then I just need to add the printer on my laptop and I should be all set??
    And the Computer must be on even if I can make copies etc. when It's off??

4. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

The notebook will have to communicate with the tower to use the printer.. that is unless it's a network printer that has its own wireless router built in.

You will have to go into Control Panel--> Network and Internet Connections--> Network Connections--> right click on the connection you are using--> click on properties, and enable file and printer sharing for microsoft networks..

5. chaslang

Open the Windows 98 Network control panel.
    Select settings, then select control panel. Double-click the icon in the resulting Control Panel window opening
    Select the Configuration tab.
    Click on the Add button.
    Select the Service type and click on the Add button.
    Select the File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.
    Now click the File and Print Sharing button and select the "I want to be able to allow others to print to my printers" option.

On your XP laptop from Start, select the Printers and Faxes button. And then select the Add a printer icon (you may have to expand the Printer Tasks to see this). Then work your way through the Add Printer Wizard. You are adding a network PC since it is shared from the other (Win98) PC.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  6. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok, I did what you said on the 98 machine, computer and printer are set up for printer sharing, however when I add a Network Printer on my XP Laptop it does not list that printer. What do I do? Need Help! Thanks guy's!
    PS-This is a stupid question but do I need to install the printer on my computer before I do this?? I would think yes, but doesn't hurt to ask, let me know!

7. chaslang

Yes, you do have to have the printer installed on the Win98 machine already. I just assumed you must have already done that. I did not think that this was a new printer setup. Is it?

After connecting it to the Win98 PC and installing any necessary drivers, try to Add a network printer on the XP machine.

8. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

ok it's installed allready on the 98 machine...but not installed on the XP Machine..I tried to ad it as a network printer and it does not show up on the "list" of printers...What's up with that?

9. chaslang

Does it work okay on the 98 machine? If yes, make sure you have done the step (repeated below from a previous message) on the 98 machine:

Now click the File and Print Sharing button and select the "I want to be able to allow others to print to my printers" option.

10. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Did that...It's all set up..However I can't get it on my XP pc...I did all the steps and followed them to the T..I brought my Laptop and set it on my lap, and followed the directions as I did the steps on my 98 Machine..But it's not coming up on my XP machine...

11. chaslang

Okay! You said "Did that...It's all set up" Did you print with it on the Win98 machine?

Also I'm asking you to double check to make sure that the File and Printer sharing really did get enabled correctly. Go back and double check the settings.

12. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Yes...Printer has been set up on there for a while, been able to print on it entire time. My question though is why I can't communuicate with it on my XP Machine. Yes I did make sure Printer sharing was enabled. Triple Checked it..

13. chaslang

Okay! On the Win98 machine run Control Panel, select Printers, then right click on your printer. Select the Sharing tab and make sure it is Shared As . Give it a name and add a comment (you will see these on the network). See if this helps.

14. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok added a name however, I didn't ad a comment..still nothing..What should I do?

15. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Could the access card on the XP laptop be misconfigured???

16. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Nope, able to connect to the internet?? So is there a misconfiguration?? Do I need to click Browse for a printer on the add printer wizard or should I click connect to this printer?? :confused:

17. chaslang

You do not have to have a comment. It's just useful information. But you did not say whether Sharing had already been enabled. Was it? Or did you just enable it.

If just enable a reboot may be required (I forget, its a long time since I needed to do this).

Can the XP machine Add and Browse for the Network printer now?

18. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

It's enabled on both..And I need to restart XP Comp?? Will do so now..

19. chaslang

OK Drew! What's the verdict?

20. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

The only thing that happens is it goes to the next page and the printer isn't listed. Just says Microsoft Windows Network..Should I try to connect to it manually??:confused:

21. chaslang

Not sure I follow you. We are trying to connect manually. On the XP machine bring up the Add Printer Wizard then select Browse for a printer. Click Next. Now you should see the Win 98 PC on the next screen in the Shared Printers list. Double click on the Win 98 PC and you should see the shared printer name appear. Select it the click next. Follow directions from there. Did you see you Win98 PC and the printer? Did this work?

22. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

No I do not see the Win98 PC that's the problem..I click browse for a printer and nothing but the words "microsoft windows network" show up where the win98 PC is supposed to be..what should I do? :(

23. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

instead of browsing for the printer should I enter the name and do it that way?

24. chaslang

You do not have your network information configured correctly yet or both PCs.
    On the Win98 PC, click start, select Run then enter winipcfg, and hit enter. Now in the winipcfg application select more info. Make sure your network card appear in the Ethernet Adapters selection box. Then note your IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DHCP server.

Now on the WinXP system you need to select your wireles card. LinkSys has an icon in your tray that you can click on. Compare the information to above and make sure that you are on the same network. If you don't know how to do that, put the info I ask you to note above for both PC's in your next message.

By the way, can both of these PCs access the internet okay? Are you using DHCP on your router or static addresses?

25. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok I did the winipcfg on the 98PC but I don't see the linksys thing in my tray, should I just do ipconfig in run and get and compare information that way or do I need it strait from linksys?

26. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

:D Ok I am on the same network, both IP's are in the 192.168.2 network and the subnetmasks are the same.. Yes both PC's are currently online and I am using a DHCP address.

27. chaslang

Yes and no! You need to do it from a command prompt. And use ipconfig /all.

Or you can also find the XP machine info from the Local Area Connection Propeties. Click Start, My Network Places, View Network Connections. The select your network connection in the LAN or High-Speed Internet window. Right click on it and select properties. Now select the Internet Protocol TCP/IP

28. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Been there done that..lol

29. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Should I try installing the printer locally or it should work through the network??? If this doesn't work soon I'm going to sleep...:mad:

30. chaslang

Hmmm? We need to find out why you cannot see the Win98 PC and printer from the XP machine. Something is not configure correctly. Have you tried turning on file sharing on the Win98 PC and then setting up your C drive to be shared? If so can the the XP machine see the Win98 drives from the Viw workgroup computers selection in Network Tasks?

31. chaslang

If you want to be able to print from both PCs, one of them must be the server and physically be connected to the printer (and obviously must be on). Installing locally on the XP machine would mean it must be connected to the XP machine.

I thought all teenagers like to stay up late! :D

32. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

33. chaslang

Its not an interrupt Boccemon. I thought the problems from that link were all resolved. But that may be a bad assumption. That is why a couple of messages ago I asked about having file sharing on and seeing if the XP machine could see the Win98 drive. That should be rather straight forward. If that does not work, something is still misconfigured. Any suggestions you have would surely be appreciated by Drew and me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  34. chaslang

Drew, I assume you hit the sack. When you next login try the stuff below since your last message. If that does not help, try shutting down ZoneAlarm and see if you can see the Win98 PC and/or printer from XP.

35. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Thanks for the invite Chas, but I am truely a novice at networking. I've just been very interested, lurking and following the thread, and trying to think of resolution. Wish I could be of more help...:(

EDIT: I've got some good material at home. If I read anything that may have promise I'll jump in !!

36. chaslang

Great! Anytime you want.

37. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Yes most teenagers like to stay up late but not when you are running on 2hours of sleep from the night before and have a 7 o'clock class just a few hours away. I'm at work currently but when I get home I will definitely try all the things you guy's recommended. Yes all problems with the router have been resolved I've been able to connect to the internet fine on both machines while zone alarm is running on my XP machine. I have only turned printer sharing on on the 98 machine, not file sharing and therefore are unable to see files on the 98 machine from the XP machine. When I get home however I will turn that on hoping this may be the underlying cause to our problems I hope it's only that simple.
    Bocemon, I am also a novice to networking but at this point any help is very much appreciated and not at all an interuption, thank you for your interest in the subject.
    Chas, I will be at work untill around 9 this evening but as soon as I get home I will try what you said and hit the message boards with an answer on whether or not that has worked. Thanks for your help currently and I look forward to talking to you. :)

38. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok good and bad news, the computer now picks up my XP machine on the network (Because I went throught the setup a small business or home network) and my 98 machine but no printer..We're getting progress!! Let me know what you think I should do! Thanks

39. chaslang

Sorry Drew, I just got in the door now! Answer these questions:

1) So does this message mean you can see shared drives in both directions (from Win98 to XP and vice versa)? For example: from the XP PC if you click Start, My Network Places, View workgroup computers, do you see the Win98 PC.

2) Can you copy files back and forth in either direction? If you have not tried that, please do so.

3) From the XP PC if you click Start, My Network Places, Printers and faxes, do you see the Win98 PC's shared printer?

If the answer is no to any of these, the network info may still not be correct. First try the above again with ZoneAlarm not running to avoid the possibility of it not be configured right..

4) Does shutting down ZoneAlarm help?

5) I know you may have done this before but make sure for both PCs you retrieve and send in your next message the following information:

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DHCP server, DNS Server.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  40. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Dear Chas, Now when I go to my network places and try to view Workgroup Computers a message pops up and says that you may not have access to this workgroup, bla bla bla. So now it is unable to retrieve files from the 98machine and vice versa. I have even shut off both firewalls on the XP Machine, Zone Alarm and XP firewall. Shutting down those does not help. So here is the information you needed from the XP Machine, I forget what to type in on the 98 machine to get IP info. etc.

IP Address--------------------192.168.2.101
    Subnet Mask-----------------255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway-------------192.168.2.1

I am unaware of how to get information on the DHCP Server and DNS server. Hopefully this information will help. Please let me know how to get information on the 98 machine. I believe it is winconfig? Let me know..

41. chaslang

On the XP machine try from the command prompt "ipconfig /all" . It should show at least the DNS servers. On Win98 system use, Start, run, and enter winipcfg. Click the more info button. (ipconfig /all from MSDOS prompt will also work on Win98)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  42. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok, the DHCP Server is 192.168.2.1 and the DNS Servers are 192.168.1.1. Hope this helps..

43. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

That information was for my XP Machine..Here is that same information for my 98 Machine..DHCP Server is 255.255.255.255 and the DNS Servers are 192.168.1.1 Hope this is correct...I have a feeling it might not be..Chas, where you at bro?? lol I need your help!! :D

44. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Anyone Who could help, your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

45. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Tried that...lol Tried that 3 times today...;)

46. chaslang

Drew,

You need to follow directions. I asked you for this info on BOTH machines:

5) I know you may have done this before but make sure for both PCs you retrieve and send in your next message the following information:

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DHCP server, DNS Server.

You have given me all of it on the XP machine and only the DHCP & DNS info for the Win98 PC. But even from what you have given so far, you do not have things setup correctly. You cannot have a DHCP server address of 255.255.255.255. All the information for each PC should be the same except for the IP Address. In other words, you should have something like:

Win XP System
    IP Addr = 192.168.2.101
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway = 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server = 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server = 192.168.2.1

Win98 System
    IP Addr = 192.168.2.102
    The rest should be as above.

This info should be getting provided automatically by your router. You said you had provisioned it for Obtain an IP automatically and you set your PCs for DHCP. Thus, if you have a DHCP Server address of 255.255.255.255 in the Win98 PC something is not set correctly. Are you sure you did not provision static IP info in the PC. Whatever the cause of the wrong info is, it is the reason you cannot see the other PCs or printer on your network.

Start over with ZoneAlarm disabled (not uninstalled):
    1) make sure router and both PCs are set to automatically assign IP addresses
    2) make sure you have file & printer sharing enabled on the Win98 system.
    3) make sure you have allowed the printer to be shared on the Win98 PC
    4) follow the previous directions I gave you to setup a network printer on the XP system.

Again you need to follow directions and provide complete answers for questions asked. It is not easy doing this via these email like messages since I cannot verify that you are doing exactly as I ask. Setting up a network share printer and sharing disk drives is not that complicated. But if the network address information is wrong it will not work. In addition, remember that ZoneAlarm (I think we discussed this earlier in this or another thread) must be provisioned correclty too for your Network and IP address range or it will block the network communication between the PCs and printer. This can be confusing sometimes because you may be able to access the internet through your router on both PCs but your own LAN information could be incorrect (behind the router) and this makes it impossible for the two PCs to communicate properly.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  47. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

Ok...Here is the full information for the Windows98 machine. I apologize for not following directions but being mean about it won't help so let's just simmer down just a little.
    Windows98 Machine
    IP Address-------------------------192.168.2.100
    Subnet Mask----------------------255.255.255.0
    Def. Gateway----------------------192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server-----------------------192.168.2.1
    DNS Server-------------------------192.168.1.1

Windows XP Machine
    IP Address------------------------192.168.2.101
    Subnet Mask---------------------255.255.255.0
    Def. Gateway---------------------192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server----------------------192.168.2.1
    DNS Server-------------------------192.168.1.1

Now I followed your directions, turned off Zone Alarm and when I try to add a network printer the MAINCOMPUTER Comes up on the Add a printer Wizard in the Browse for printers option, but when I click on the MAINCOMPUTER there is no printer there. So I restarted the 98 Computer and triple checked to make sure that the pritner and file sharing is on, which it was. I then tried to add the printer again still no luck. Sooo, I don't know what to do. I tried to look in my network places and when I click on MAINCOMPUTER it says I do not have access to the computer and I need to contact the administrator. Well I'm the administrator and I contacted myself and I'm clueless.. LoL So yeah, hopefully the information I gave you helps. Hope to hear from you soon and sorry about before. ;)

48. chaslang

Drew, My intent was not to be mean. I apologize if it seem that way. What I wanted was to get you to pay attention to the details and accuracy of information that I need to help you from a remote location.

Now this info looks good. Different than what you said before for the DHCP address on the Win98 PC. By MAINCOMPUTER I assume you mean the Win98 PC. You are not adding a network printer there. It is a direct connect that is already physically connected and working. You only need to double check to make sure that file & print sharing is enabled and the you enable the printer itself to be shared. On the WinXP system, a network printer will be added.

49. chaslang

If you try to connect to the WinXP system from the Win98 system, you must have a login ID (USER ID) on the XP system and it must be the same as what you logged into the Win98 system as (at least to keep things simplier). You do not however need to do this for your simple sharing of the printer on the Win98 PC. This will only be needed if you want to have admin like priveledges if you connect to the XP system from the 98 system (for disk sharing and moving files around).

50. Drewzer03

Drewzer03 Private E-2

When I said I was trying to add a network printer I was trying to add it to the Windows XP machine but in the add printer wizard the main computer(98 machine) comes up but when I click on it to add a printer there is no printer there. Now however I restarted my XP Laptop and now when I go to my network places there is no computer there. I made sure Zone Alarm was off. I then tried to add a network printer there again on my XP laptop, still no luck. Now the MAINCOMPUTER (that's the name given to the 98 machine) does not even come up. Why does this happen When I restart? Should that happen? What am I doing wrong? I know this way more complicated then it's supposed to be and I'm sorry if I made it that way. :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds