Started the new guitar body last night

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BluesMan, Jan 14, 2005.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

One piece alder strat body. Tapped the thing and it has midrange honk like nobody's business! Now I have to decided whether or not Im putting a quilted maple top on it or not. I briefly browsed ebay for some tops but came up short. Anyone have some good online sources for 5A or better quilted maple lumber?

2. BluesMan

wonder how this flamed bubinga would sound?...

[​IMG]

3. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Oh! That's a purty piece of wood there! Is that the one you just bought? If not...where's the pic of that one? *pouts* :D

4. BluesMan

I haven't purchased a top yet. The top in that pic is 400 I think. I am gonna try and hit some local exotic hardwood places and see what I can find. Hopefully I can find somethign better in maple :)

5. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

The grain in that piece is awesome! I can't wait to see the progress of the new guitar! Wish I could see it first hand..always loved watching my dad build stuff.

Is that a really hard wood kinda like cherry is?

6. BluesMan

Ive never used bubinga before so I don't know much about it. The alder that I am using for the body is a real simple looking wood but the grain is tight and it has a full bodied sound. Maple on the other hand is hard and tight grained giving it a much brighter sound. Mahogany is a favorite around the shop but its very dark. Most guys will do mahagony body with a maple top to achieve a well balanced tone.

I will try and get some pics of the one I started. All Ive done so far was trace out the body on the wood and rough cut it (oversized) incase I decide to go with a purdy top for it. Not a lot to show yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds