2nd drive has no file system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PA_Raider_Fan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. PA_Raider_Fan

PA_Raider_Fan Private E-2

I had this drive in my computer as my media drive, then my C drive crashed. I replaced the C drive, but now my media drive has no file system, so windows wants me to format it. I have the jumpers correct. Is there another solution, other than reformatting the drive? I have a gateway computer with amd4200 processor, the drive I just replaced is a Western Digital WD320. The media drive is Western Digital WD250. Thanks in advance.

2. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

I assume you have some version of Windows.
    Does the drive show up in My Computer?
    If so, right click it and select properties.
    On the tools tab, select Error Checking by clicking on the check now button.
    Enable the repair feature and run it.

3. PA_Raider_Fan

I have windows XP pro. When I select error checking, there are two check boxes. Whether I check one, two or none of the boxes, as soon as I hit start, the window just goes away, like its done. thanks for replying, but I'm not sure thats working either. I am assuming I will have to get some kind of data recovery software and try to get my kids pictures off that drive, then go ahead and reformat it. Any other thoughts?

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If it ran error checking it would have taken several minutes.
    You might try using DOS to determine whether there is indeed any data on that drive
    Start>Run> type "command" (without the quotation marks)
    You will be presented with a DOS Window.
    type: "E:" (or whatever the drive is named - no quotation marks again) and hit enter
    You should see the drive prompt (E:\)
    type: "dir" and hit enter
    This will show you (very rapidly) everything that is on the drive.
    Let us know if you find anything there.

5. tjet

Ok the drive was NTFS?
    Open up the command line by going to start>run> in the run box type CMD then hit enter.
    Once the command line opens just type this in:

convert D: /FS:NTFS

Assuming the second drive is the D: drive.
    This fails and it would probably be salvage recovery time.

6. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

PA_Raider_Fan,
    If you want any hope of recovering data from that drive DO NOTdo anything that will write to the drive, especially changing the files system. You'll need to run some data recovery software. I recently recovered from a corrupted partition using Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. Program flat out saved my bacon. It make take hours for the program to run though. Good Luck...........

7. PA_Raider_Fan

will this erase the existing data on the drive?

8. PA_Raider_Fan

nothing shows up when I type the drive letter....but I know there is stuff on the drive!

9. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Are you saying that you typed the drive letter follow by a colon :)) and it didn't give you a drive prompt (E:\) ?
    Or it did give you the prompt and typing "dir" gave you nothing?

10. PA_Raider_Fan

I can type the drive letter with the colon, and it switches to that drive, but nothing shows up when I type "dir", it just shows the drive letter again

11. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    That indicates that even though it sees the drive, DOS thinks that it is empty.
    I think its time to try some Data Recovery software.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html
    I can't personally recommend any of these, having never needed one, but I'd trust any program listed here at MG.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Before you assume the drive is empty, try a few different letters.
    Maybe the drive is E:\ but could it be D:\ or F:\ ?
    I'd try a few followed by the dir command just in case it has been given a different letter.

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

The drive isn't empty it has something to do with the master boot record. I just don't know how to fix it. A trial of GetDataBack for NTFS will show you that the file system is intact but a trial version won't let you copy the data.

The fix is simple because all you need to do is get Windows to find the beginning of the disk. I just can't remember how to do it. Whether it is fixmbr or something in Administrative tools I just can't say.

Maybe try reposting in software forum.

14. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I agree with Plodr.
    E: might well be your optical drive (CD or DVD)

15. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Another thing to try is to run chkdsk.
    Start>Run>type "chkdsk e:" (or D: of F: )
    This will run a check on your drive.
    If it finds any problems you should then run it again, but this time type "chkdsk e:/f"
    The "/f" parameter tells check disk to fix any errors it finds.
    I'm not certain if this will check the MBR or not, but it checks the files and the filing system as well as the sectors of the drive itself.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  16. tjet

The OP stated he could see the 2nd drive in My Computer.
    The reference information to the 2nd drive is missing on the drive he formatted.
    I at no time told him to rename the file system.
    I asked what it was originally set at and told him to reset it as such.
    What is the drive called in my computer?

17. PA_Raider_Fan

I used J for my drive letter BTW. I tried running checkdisk, but when I hit enter, the DOS window pops up, and then immediately goes away. I tried it with the /f parameter as well, but I get the same result, dos window pops up, then disappears.

I have since gotten a trial version of stellar phoenix, and I can see all my files on the drive. It looks like I can get them with the program, but I'm trying not to spend 80 bucks. any other suggestions? thanks again for all the advice so far.

18. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Try rebooting, this time in Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt and try chkdsk again.

19. PA_Raider_Fan

it does the same thing as before, dos window appears then goes away.

20. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You said
    http://majorgeeks.com/TestDisk_&_PhotoRec_d5561.html
    Is the only freeware program available in MG's File Recovery directory that I see, that (by its description) might be able to recover your drive.
    I am afraid I've never used this program and can't help much with it.
    Perhaps someone else who has used this program might be able to tell you if it will help.

21. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    I have now downloaded an explored the recovery program I mentioned in my last post.
    It runs in a DOS window and purports to be able to recover your non working HDD.
    Not having a non working HDD myself, I can't try it.
    It does appear to be fairly straightforward though.

22. PA_Raider_Fan

I finally broke down and bought Stellar Phoenix. I must say, I didn't think it would be that easy to do get all the data off my drive. good program if anyone needs to recover a drive. Thanks to everyone (esp. Joelsz) for trying to walk me through.

23. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Hi,
    I am using Windows XP OEM Home
    I had a little problem the other day with something the same you are having?

I just have added a 2nd drive to my computer and I had to add a "Partition" and then "Format this drive before I had a notifcation of a "Healty System"

Suggestion?
    Click on = Start = All Programs = Administrative Tools = Computer Management = Disk Management = Within you will see all your drives you have within your computer. Within should show the Status of the drive you have in question. If showing "Healty System" it should be OK OK?

If it does not show "Healthy System = Right click on the the drive in question and from within the right menu you will see "Add Partition" and then next from the right click menu "Format" = will take quite q while to do the format

Hope may help??

24. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

PA_Raider_Fan
    I'm glad it all worked out for you. :)
    Sorry it wasn't free :(

maybeok
    The reason that your solution wasn't tried is that PA_Raider_Fan had data on his 2nd HDD that he needed to recover.
    A format would have permanently deleted that data.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds